Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCI Communications Device Found 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaci

IS-IT--Management
Feb 28, 2000
US
Visit site
I'm getting a PCI Communications Device found and don't know where the driver is. Trying to install a USR 56k Voice/Fax internal modem. The modem is not being found in autodetect (Win98) mode. Any advice?
Thanks

The PCI comm IS YOUR MODEM! Point it to the drivers disk... Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Say if you have two hard drives, and the new one has th OS on it, but the old one has the drivers for the unknown PCI Communication device. I don't have the 98 disk, where should I look on my old hard drive?

I have read here that PCI communications device is my modem. I have just installed the drivers for my modem, but i cannot find the drivers for the PCI. I don´t have my modem´s drivers disc so, where can i find the drivers for the PCI? I have just downloaded the drivers for the modem, but they don´t work with the PCI... What can I do?

The Question is What kind of 3 Com/USR Modem do I have?
Current USR / 3 Com Modems come with a fab# on the securing rail (inside or
outside).
0637 = coyote MDM001017-xx
0481 = greyhound MDM001001-xx
0484 = python SCM001379-xx
0460 = akita SCM001369-xx
0335 = sportster 33.6 SCM001323-01

Coyote support page:

Coyote 95/98 driver ftp download:
ftp://ftp.micronpc.com/Support/Desktop/Modems/USR/Coyote/coyote9x.exe

Sólo veo con 16 colores y mi adaptador de pantalla es uno que dice: "Adaptador de gráficos PCI estandar (VGA)". No puedo cambiar a 255 colores con ese adaptador y no se cual es el que me corresponde a mi ya que ese es el que me detecta el PC y el monitor me aparece uno predeterminado.
Me podrían decir que hacer? y que drivers instalar? algunos que funcionen con todos...

GRACIAS

I have an internal modem 56K V.90 which has a motorola chip. However, after reformating the hard disk and installing win98SE, I also encounter the problem of PCI Communication Device driver problem. I have lost disc to the driver for the modem and as such is not able to install. I wonder if there is any generic drivers which can solve this problem.

I don't believe that the PCI Communications Device IS the modem. Once a driver for the PCI Comms Device is loaded, THEN win98 discovers the modem.

In terms of COMTECH's reply, he can't point the PCI device at to the driver because KACI states that he doesn't have one. THis answer has obviously frustrated the other readers who picked up on this thread.

I invite COMTECH to explain his reply fully and put the PCI Comms Device into perspective and add to our knowledge of this common problem.

i have a conexant v90 modem but i just reformatted and when i installed win98 again it wouldn't accept the modem drivers for the pci communications device, even though i had already installed the modem device, i tryed the conexant home page but it just has drivers available for win2k and above, throw me a frickin bone here!

Lots of questions but no apparant sloution :( Am the same as you Sean, have reformatted on WIN98se, dont have the drivers disk for the modem & am buggered if I know what to do next?

i have a modem i dint know what kind,type, and there is no fcc # on the card and windows sees it as a pci communication device. how do i find what kind of modem it is and find a driver for it? please help

Oh this all sounds so familiar. Any major news on getting the PCI driver working? Modem drivers all installed but modem not responding as there is an unknown PCI comms device that is driver-less. I have downloaded HSP PCI 56k Modem.zip from and am hoping that this will solve the problem for my PCtel Micro modem. However, not convinced! Any more help would be gratefully received.

Eeeeek, I have been struggling with this for 2 days now. I went to That will tell you what type of PCI device you have, well it at least gives instructions on how to get your computor to tell you. It turns out it IS the modem, so once you got your modem driver, if you don't know your modem, get that link and find out, direct the PCI thing to the modem driver.

It doesn't change the fact though that the missing PCI on reformatting seems to give sound problems. According to this comp I have no sound at all, not even the little yellow speaker by the clock. I don't know where to start! Another thing is that my monitor setting have gone squiff, I know this is to do with the PCI thing as I just had the computor out to see if I couldn't find a problem with the sound card (I couldn't). On switching the comp on, the monotor was fine again, until I connected to the net and as soon as it picked up the modem, gone!

Any suggestions? I am desperate now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back