Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCI card in a new PC problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

motherwoody

Technical User
Aug 15, 2002
US
I am building a new PC (not mine). New case, MB and processor. I am trying to use an old 8 meg PCI video card in stead of an AGP. When I boot up, the monitor won’t work. Of course it’s looking at the AGP slot. Since I can’t see anything, I can’t go into BIOS to change it to look for the video card in the first PCI slot. Should I stick in an AGP card till I get it changed or is there another way?

AGP card now are very cheap
it is good to use AGP card, heck you can find a used one, or left over items in some supplier stock which it is still brand new

You should still be able to see the bios boot screen regardless of which card you use.

I would suggest installing an AGP card simply to check that the Bios is being shown. (I would think there is another problem preventing you from seeing the display).

Your best bet is to pull all the items out of the case and double check all the jumpers/switches (if any) on the board. Take out the chip & heatsink and plug them back in again. Then re-install the only 1 stick of memory in bank 0. Then just plug in the hard drive and floppy. (do not plug in CDROM or any other ide/scsi device yet). Then just plug the PCI graphics card (nothing else) and then see what happens.

You may also want to double check that the bus speed is set-up correctly.

Let us know how you get on.

Make sure the card is seated or try putting the card in another slot.

oh i had da same exact problem w/ a frend's computer. it mite be 1 of dose systems dat u have to tinker around w/ how da drives are plugged in *power, not data* try to change dem around, im not sure wuh exactly works... i do not think there is 1 configuration for it. try to change dem around, buh your situation is so familiar. eventualie wen i changed around the power plugs around it finallie worked. da comp wud start, green lite and all, buh nuthin on da video card.

Have you tried other PCI slots? I had the same problem on a pc before, new board, yet the first slot wouldn't work with the video on first boot. The slot later worked with other cards. I might have had a crap board, but it's worth a try.

kriket

If you don't see the boot screen it means that your monitor is not connected to the VGA card.
Firstly you should plug the monitor into your AGP card slot then boot up and go into the BIOS setup.
Depending on your motherboard and BIOS there's an option (i.e in my AWARD BIOS under "chipset specific") to choose your primary VGA card - change that to PCI,reboot,don't forget to replug the monitor into the PCI card now!

I would make sure that the PCI slot it is in is the closest one to the AGP slot, if possible.

KV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back