Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCI bridge issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

zydecomon

MIS
Apr 12, 2002
US
I have a K6BV3+ motherboard. I used to have 98ME, but I have recently upgraded to 2000. I remember when I first built this machine, I had to download a few PCI bridge patch files. But now, with 2000, I seem to be having the problem again even after reinstalling the drivers. Even though the soundcard works (PCI), the ethernet nor the USB 2.0 card will work. The ethernet card is recognized, but with a driver issue. Even after installing the 2000 driver, the machine will either lock up or just give me an installation error (I've even tried a freshly downloaded driver from the card's website). The USB card locks up the machine completely during boot.

Does anyone know what the issue may be?

Did you investigate upgrading the BIOS, and/or installing the latest MB chipset drivers?

Your motherboard may need different patch files for Win2000 than with 98. Get a good look at your motherboard to make sure you have the right patch files too! I recently updated my motherboard drivers using KT7 drivers instead of KT7A. Oops.

Also, I prefer to use the chipset drivers from the chipset manufacturer. For example, I use the Via 4in1 drivers since they were more recent than the drivers on my mobo website (and worked better too!).

I've never used the new USB cards but do you need to disable USB in your CMOS if using an expansion USB card? Check your documentation.

To Accessdabbler,

Does it matter that I do not have any onboard USB devices?

To Ski,

I have found a BIOS update in which the description said nothing about my issue, but when I get home I will try it and see what happens. I am going to look for it now, but where do I find chipset drivers?

Either at the MB manuf's site, or at the chipset manuf's site.

Odd. Why have a card but no USB devices? If it's giving you a problem, don't install it until your system is updated with the proper drivers. Check the manufacturer of the K6BV3+ (whoever that is).

DUH!!!!!!!! Why do you people have to be so practical and correct? Maybe I should wake up. I guess my last issue would be how do I find out what my chipset is? As far as I know, I've never played with chipsets before. I am on VIA's website looking through the drivers, but I don't know what my chipset is.

I didn't word myself correctly. I meant that I do have USB devices, but I do not have a built in usb card on the mb. Does that make more sense?

Do a search for Belarc Advisor. This program will give you a handy printout of everything on your PC. It's a free program too!

Unfortunately, it may not exactly identify your mobo. Can you find the invoice for it? Otherwise, open up the case and look at it.

Try looking for a big black square chip (it might be covered by a small fan). This is your northbridge chip and should have the chipset numbers printed on it. I don't recommend removing the fan since there is probably a heatsink under it and removing all this stuff is more trouble than its worth (and you may damage your system).

Somewhere on the mobo should be a prominent description of what it is (but it may be anywhere on the board - lets hope its not on the back!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back