Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCG-z505lsk XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie10

Technical User
Apr 6, 2002
US
I have a sony vaio pcg-z505lsk and recently upgraded the os to Win XP pro. Since then, every time I will turn on my computer it will beep many times before it boots up. Once it's done booting up, for some reason the system will not stop inputting the letter w. Whenever I open any program it will type up w. Especially Microsoft Word, once its open, it will not stop typing the letter w.

I know the key is not stuck. Since I reformatted the drive and loaded DOS. And didn't get that problem.

Started to suggest Safe Mode, but think it's still gonna' load the same keyboard drivers, don't you?

I'm quick to mistrust laptop keyboards...I have one now that's been supposedly "watered" from a spill...that if you type 9 it adds an o to it...or if you type o it precedes it with a 9...and there's other keys messed up that make another add-on keyboard a necessity.
There is a possibility your keyboard's fritzed.

Have you tried changing the driver in Device Manager or having the computer search for a better one?

"Beeping many times" is not exactly a diagnostician's dream: is there a recognizable pattern to the beeps, are they connected...are they mixes of long and short...

Rookie10,
Of all the different makes and models of laptops that have worked on Sony's are the biggest Pain in the &*^(*^. I located the page within Sony's site for XP upgrade information. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't, but it is worth a shot.
Good Luck<
Mike

Mike

I've loaded all those already, but still have the same problem.

gargouille

I think the reason it's beeping everytime I boot the laptop is because the system is pressing the letter w all the time. It's just like when you lay something on the keyboard and accidentally press and hold the keys. It sounds exactly like that. I know the beeps has a meaning according to SONY Tech Support but this one is different.

Thanks y'all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back