Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pcanywhere11 XP/98 quick deploy

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbowman

Technical User
Aug 28, 2003
GB
I have an ADSL router\modem connecting a Win98 Desktop to a WinXP laptop. Both share my ADSL internet connection.

My intention is to monitor the 98 machine from the XP machine using PCanywhere 11. This is so that I can monitor the activity of my kids remotely when on the internet.

I have disabled Zone alarm, and disconnected the ADSL line temporarily while I have no firewall.

The two machines are in the same workgroup, with shared folders. I can see the resources on the other machine from both ends.

When I run PCanywhere on the XP machine, from the quick deploy and connect icon, I can see the 98 machine in the list. I double click the icon in pcanywhere to connect to it. It prompts with a box domain\username and password.

What do I fill in here? I've tried all combinations of machine names and usernames with passwords, and every time is says no network available, yet it lists the machine!

I even set up a user account on both machines with the same user password combination.

Just seems stupid that I can list the machine in PCA, share resources with it in Network Neighbourhood, but not establish a connection in PCA.

Am I overlooking something fundamental?

Thanks in advance.

Are you wanting to just watch what they are doing live. If so I reccomend VNC viewer. It is a freeware and easy to setup.

Not heard of that one, I'll give it a try. Many thanks.

Still would be interested to know how I get round the PCA issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back