Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pcanywhere 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

12345vishnu

Technical User
Jul 25, 2003
US
hi,
I have a question. i am using pcanywhere. i donot know how to connect using ip address. my host has linksys router. and host has a static ip address. my remote is using t1 connection. can any body help me out step how to get the ip address of the host computer and how to set the remote and host computer.

Working on a similar problem. According to Symantec, hit your router (192.168.1.1=default IIRC);

click 'advanced,'
click 'forwarding,'
fwd port 5631, TCP, to [host's IP]
fwd port 5632, UDP, to [host's IP]

You can get [host's IP] easily by launching PCA host, then double-click it out of the systray, IP is right there in the window.

So now, you can hit your remote can enter that IP & it's all aces. (This is all from Symantec's support; you can google "router pcanywhere" & get this info.)

I can't confirm this working, however. Can anyone lend a hand? I'm working on the computers for a new business; their software guys want to come in on PCA to do the setups on each machine (heh.)

We have a Lucent DSLpipe (dsl-hs-2.3mbs) going into a linksys router; Small town, no static IP; I *guess* my problem is that I can't get the dslpipe to forward those ports, as whatismyip's IP is hitting the dslpipe (I guess) & stopping there. Natch the address assigned to my host is a 192.168.x.x so that's a no-go.

Any suggestions? I'm looking at having these people dialin to each computer if I can't work a fix.

Hi gt2378b
I got hte answer. I did it yesterday. I am not in office for weekend. i'll tell you how to make it work and find ip address on monday.
Thanks for reply.

Great! Please let me know; I would really like to get these computers talking on IP rather than modems! I'll be reading on Monday.

TY Bospruel; Already have that info, however; my problem lies elsewhere. My version is 10.5.

12345vishnu, any ideas? It looks as though I'm stopped with the PCA remote trying to talk to the DSLpipe, rather than the computer waiting behind it; DSLpipe won't foward. At least I think that's what's happening.

I am attempting to do this also. I have (two) Pipeline 50s connecting a DDS 56K line.There is a linksys router on the host end. The pipeline's (at the host end) ethernet line goes into a hub which the Linksys router is also plugged into. Using PCA I am attempting to connect my remote site into the host's linksys router. Last night I assigned IP addresses into the Pipeline. I assigned both of them internal addresses from the routers range. The Pipes work, as they can log in to the Novell server, and access their network folders (thru IPX) but the PC Anyhere wont work .I am frantic to get the PCA to work!! I am using version 10. How did your attempts go??

Hi Lauralee38,

Well, I didn't manage to get PCA working over IP; Since it was really critical to get our software set up, we just had the software guys call the computers & do their thing by modem.

Not a very satisfactory solution, I'm afraid...

This is strage. I've used PCA 10 and 10.5 since they came out, with Linksys routers on each end of the connection.

Does the host have a static IP address set up properly behind the Linksys? Meaning (by default) 192.168.1.x (where x > 1)??

Did you then go into the port forwarding page and do as instructed above?

If the answer to these are Yes, you may wish to download and install a firmware upgrade for both Linksys routers.

Silly question- Are both these computers on line when you do this? My customers that get this have DSL or cable modems that are always on line with host mode set to start automatically with windows and all I have to do is go on line with my computer, minimize my browser, open PcA remotes, pick the shortcut set up for that customer and I'm in there.

Amatuer Question:
I am trying to hook my daughters computer up with mine. Her computer has an rj 45 and two rj11. I ran a line with rj45's at each end. Then realized that I dont have an extra rj45 on my computer. Can I just run rj11, plug them in to both computers and have her online? Or could I get an adapter for my nic that would give me two rj45's, then just plug it in, or is there more I need to know (or do)? I do have an extra nic card with rj45. should I put this extra nic in my computer? Please somebody.

The RJ45 in your daughter's computer is a network interface card (NIC), and the 2 RJ11s are probably on a modem (or are they on an HPNA card?). If you only have 1 RJ45 in your computer it is also a NIC, and if it is connected to your cable/dsl modem, then you will need another NIC in your machine to connect directly to your daughter's pc. Alternately, you could buy a hub or switch, and connect the RJ45 from both computers to it and create your first network.

Sounds exciting eh?

I just set up a home network with a Netgear wireless router...one desktop wired, one notebook wireless. Works like a charm, and I saw the router in the paper today at Office Depot or Staples for about $40.

How do you connect to multiple hosts on your LAN? Simple!

PCA (from version 7.52 and up) uses TCP Port 5631 and UDP Port 5632.

There are numerous options available to you and I can only give you some tips after receiving your answers to the following questions:

[1] Is DHCP enabled and the clients on your LAN obtain IP addresses automatically or DHCP is disabled and you assign IP addrsses from your NAT

[2] Is your WAN IP static or dynamically leased

[3] If WAN IP is static, do you have unused IP's or you have only 1 WAN IP assigned to you?

Mickey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back