Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pcAnywhere Version 11 Command Queues

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBS2

Programmer
May 17, 2004
GB
Our Visual FoxPro Application uses pcAnywhere to transfer data to and from Remote sites. We currently use pcAnywhere V10.5 which allows us to build Auto Transfer procedures into pcAnywhere connection icons which we then call from our VFP application. A typical command is as follows:-

RUN /N awrem32.exe mysite.chf

where mysite.chf is the name of the Remote connection item which contains the relevant phone number and Auto Transfer Procedure.

Now with pcA V.11 we find that Auto Transfer procedures are no longer available - we need to use something called a Command Queue instead. The problem with this is that it does not appear to be possible to call the Command Queue directly from our VFP application. The pcA V.11 Help suggests using the Windows Scheduler to automate Command Queues. However, we need direct control of the Command Queue from our application as we perform processing on the received data before dialing the next location.

Can anyone suggest a solution to this problem please. NB. we have only just finished rewriting our application to cope with the loss of pcA script files in pcA V10.5 - we were not planning on another complete redesign again !!!

Dear PBS2,

Have you received any answers to your post on the problem of migrating from PCanywhere 10.0 AutoTransfer to PCanywhere Command Queue ? We have a similar problem.

Thanks

jk1939

Dear PBS2,

Have you received any answers to your post on the problem of migrating from PCanywhere 10.0 AutoTransfer to PCanywhere Command Queue ? We have a similar problem.

Thanks

jk1939

The following commands can be used to invoke PCAnywhere Command Queues:-

pcaprogs='\Program Files\Symantec\pcAnywhere\'

pcaicons='\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\pcAnywhere\Command Queues\'

mcommand='"c:'+pcaprogs+'winaw32.exe" "c:'+pcaicons+'ReceiveData.CQF"'

RUN /N &mcommand

The above is FoxPro code, however, you should be able to adapt it for your application. I hope this helps.

Hi PBS2
Thanks for the info, can you tell me if its possible for the remote to connect and login automaticaly before running the command queue

You will notice if you setup a Command Queue in pcA V11 that you specify the Remote icon to use for the login. In this Remote icon you can specify the phone number to ring and any login info (eg. username/password etc). Consequently when you run the Command Queue the correct Remote icon is used for the automatic logon.

In our application we require to dial multiple hosts. Each Command Queue is actually a text file. We used foxpro code to amend the Command Queue text file so that we can alter the name of the Remote icon to use for each call within a loop of all locations to call.

I hope this helps.

Thanks PBS2 I've got the login and command queque working,
now the problem is the execute command starts and pca hangs. Its as if the command queque doesn't wait for the execute (a batch file on the host) to finish before continuing with the next command. Have you come across this problem? Do you know if it's possible to port the vb application using pcanywhere OLE that worked fine on pca 10.5 to pca 11 - that would be the best solution for me.

I'm afraid I have not come across this problem. We only use pcAnywhere to do file transfers - we don't use it to execute batch files - sorry.

If you look at the format of the CQF file it would suggest that you could create scripts on the fly and then execute the modified command queue

I found a wait command that just pings the localhost with output redirected to nul. The parameter is a number of seconds. Format is >@ping 127.0.0.1 -n %1% -w 1000> nul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back