Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCanywhere through NAT

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssphoenix

IS-IT--Management
Jan 22, 2001
US
I am trying to remotely manage a pc that it is setup with a Dlink switch/DHCP and NAT. I can get alway to the switch. Is there any way I could remotely dial into that PC?

Thanks

As long as the computer has a modem and a direct line PC ANywhere should work. I use a product called Fidalia over the net to support my clients..... but you need someone on the other end to type in a code to start the service

The pc on the other side is on a AT&T boadband with a switch/firewall nated to 10.0.0.x which obviously cannot get to. The service is started but pcanywhere does not fire up.

Thanks for help.

Fidalia service will work thru the firewall even with a 10.0.0.x ip

ssphoenix, if you want to control a PC behind a NAT box you will have to forward TCP port 5631 and UDP port 5632 to the 10. addy of your PC. Then just connect to the external address of your NAT box.

forward ports 5631 and 5632 to the machine you are trying to connect to.

Thanks for replay. I am not sure how to forward these ports? I do IP forwarding on my firewall but you how do you forward spacific ports? I suppose by adding static routes. Again how do you specify ports?

Thanks in advance

The meathod of forwarding ports is different for every router. It's not a matter of adding a static ip route to the host. What you need to do is add a rule in the NAT table. Some routers/firewalls can do this, some can't. I'm pretty sure any newer D-Link can do this. Just look around in the Web Admin for the router, it shouldn't be to hard to find, they are pretty simple routers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back