Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pcANYWHERE through a corporate firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cannoli

Programmer
Apr 3, 2002
US
We have been struggling with the following problem for quite some time now. Perhaps someone here has come across a solution for this for we are all out of ideas...

Problem:
We run a technical support department that uses pcANYWHERE to connect to our clients to remotely troubleshoot errors. Many of our clients refuse to allow us access through their firewalls because of security risks etc. What we would like to do is have them connect to us through our firewall. The problem is the client must be in host mode, while the tech support rep must be in remote mode. We also would like concurrent users. We have about 10 or 15 people that could possibly be connected to all different clients.

We've tried setting up a pcANYWHERE gateway, that did not work either. We've had people come in and look at our router configuration, they said nothing there would cause our problems.

Is there any way at all this might work? I would be open to pcANYWHERE alternatives if over 90% of our clients didn't already own it. It would be very hard to get them to switch to something different.

Any help or information that could help us resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Cannoli,

You might want to look into "Webex" it was a piece of software that was used by the support department for a piece of software that we have here. Unfortunatly I found out about it because of a major software crash on my end. But the Webex connection allowed tech support to come in and work with my system without needing special software on my end. All it requires on the client end is a web browser.
I looked on the net and found the URL for you: http:\\
Let me know how it looks for you! Chuck
tek-tips@aspenpkg.com

They can be in host mode and initiate the connection to your remote. Since they initiate the connection, it typically won't be blocked by their firewall. But you will have to cut a whole in your firewall to allow their connection through to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back