Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pcAnywhere questions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KimLeece

Technical User
Nov 12, 2002
JP
1.Is there any way to configure pc Anywhere so that a particular user only has access to certain folders(i.e.not the whole computer) on a host? Do you have to create a seperate host for each user?
2. Does pcAnywhere reset the internet connection by itself (my IP address seems to change by itself sometimes when I thought it was online all the time!?)
3. Are pc Anywhere passwords secure over the web?

I have never used pcAnywhere before but as my provider does not support PPTP I can't make a VPN connection - and I have tried FTP solutions but they are very slow - aroung 15 kB/sec - at least pc Anywhere delivers around 80 kB's.

I would be grateful for any help in the above areas

kimleece

Have you looked into TightVNC?

It's free and faster than PCAnywhere.

Another thing to look into might be to sign up with a free Dynamic DNS provider such as, or
I used free service and it works great. I was on ADSL and now I'm on Cable and it updates my address so it always points to my dynamic IP Address.

So instead of connecting to your IP address in PCAnywhere or TightVNC like: 212.224.56.21 you would connect with YourName.no-ip.org or whatever you sign up for. ====================================
I love people. They taste just like
chicken!

mithrilhall -
Thanks for your tips - I am checking them out!
Do you happen to know if no-ip.com updates your WAN IP? I am behind a router/firewall and will anyway have to forward the port.
But again so far - Thanks a lot

kimleece

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back