Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pcANYWHERE OLE code for VB 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

fwadmin

IS-IT--Management
Jun 23, 2005
US
I have a bunch of pcANYWHERE script files written to do various automatic transfers. It seems that Symantec's newer versions of pcANYWHERE no longer support the script files and now use OLE for integration into other applications. The documentation for this completely stinks in that they give no VB examples of invoking transfers.

Anyone out there have any VB code with pcAYNWHERE they can share?

Thanks.

nice thought rambleon ..amusing - :eek:) but Its a batch file that would probably delete stuff or drop tables something like that :eek:)
I dont want any users to double click on the file if they find it :eek:) so nopes the idea wont work but I am going to give you a star for your effort :eek:)

sibasis
Thanks for the star.
Excuse my ignorance but I don't see the difference between

somemove a
and
call somemove a

any bat files you don't want to leave lying around you can transfer to the host before execution and delete after.

rambleon

Excuse my ignorance but I don't see the difference between

somemove a
and
call somemove a

Do not understand the reference ... sorry

any bat files you don't want to leave lying around you can transfer to the host before execution and delete after.

That would be a very good idea, but that would increase my per location execution time by some number of seconds as its over the phone network, multiply that over 100's of locations as I do not have the resources to simulataneously do more than 10 it does not work out to be feasible in my situation but yet thanks anyways.

So just rename the files so they're not recognizable as bat files or change their attributes to hidden that shouldn't
take to long.

Hi everybody...

hi sibasis
why don't you write yourself a small VB programm, that runs the bat file and check every .. let's say 5 seconds if the process or other started processes are still running. When all your processes are finished, then you delelete all your files, start a new bat, that deletes the vb application. Right after starting that bat file shut down the vb application and the last bat file will just delete all files you want to delete...
i know kind of complicated, but i think the will be the cleanest way to do it.

now my problem *g*
i new to connect to a host, which works fine. But once I am connected I want to see the desktop of the host on the remote machine. I could just start the chf file, but then I have no control over the connection from my VB appl, which sucks.... Has anyone an idea how I could start the file transfer or desktopview program out of my vb program ?
For all help I will be really thankful and since here seem to be some experts i think someone will have a small hint for me.

Thanx

Has anyone been able to get this OLE stuff to work reliably in their application? I have the basics working but keeps hanging and crashing on me. Am I doing something wrong or does PCAnywhere just suck?

How can I apply the same file transfer idea to FTP setting. No pc anywhere available on remote computer, unable to get thru firewall. We share files but have been unsuccessful in setting up FTP schedules between our computers so I have been looking to set up a transfer button on access form that will programatically transfer the back end data tables without the remote user getting involved. Thank you for any guidance.

if you can share files then it should be a simple copy command, however if you want to ftp your files you will have to implement the ftp engine and will have to have a ftp server on the other end. look at documentation for RFC 959 to understand the FTP process and for the FTP engine look at using the Wininet or the ITC ( Internet Transfer Control)

Thank you, I've printed and am reviewing the documentation. Also found a sample Internet Data Transfer Library database at
Between the documentation and database that's alot to chew on and it will take me awhile to get it to an understanding of how I transpose all that to my database/ftp server! Thank you so much, This is getting me closer to setting things up properly. [thumbsup2]

elektrobank Hi,
After many late nights I have a vb application using pcAnywhere OLE that works. The vb application is installed at the customer sites, my pc is a host waiting for a connection. The VB application calls the host transfers some files (to the host), executes a batch file (on the host), transfers the results to the remote and logs off.
99% of the time it works fine. One of the main problems was ensuring the file transfer finishes before going on to the next stage, I put in a pause routine after each transfer, this seems to have taken care of the problem.
So once you get your application working PCAnywhere is a good solution.

Rambleon

Hi, all
may be i'm naive, but could anyone explain to me the difference between HostDataManager and RemoteDataManager?
It seems to me these members do the same stuff on calling computer.
Will appreciate any code, that will allow me to (for ex.)change directory on host computer and verify it

Thanks

To connect using pcAnywhere one pc has to be the host and the othere the remote. The remote controls the host, the host cannot work on the remote, both the remote and the host see the host's screen.

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has had any success in launching an interactive session yet through OLE....?

'bmettee' wrote back on the 28th Jan 03 that they thought the PcAw window was just hidden and sending a ShowWindow command to it should make it interactive.... they never came back with any code however...

This IS possible, as I have successfully wrote a .NET app to do just this. After the call to awconnect, I monitor the ConnectionStatus property - once the status has changed to 1 to indicate a successful connection, I call a procedure that; iterates windows internal handles, identifies the PcAw session window then sends a ShowWindow command to display it.

This works great, however, I have one major problem... Whilst working on the host for some time, the connection drops without explanation! It is normally after around 10 minutes but can vary. Sometimes we need to perform tasks on the host for half and hour or more, which means we have to keep re-connecting when it drops. It does re-connect again straight away but I would obviously like to get to the bottom of the problem. I can't find any timeout setting anywhere and it still drops the connection sporadically if the session is in use the entire time - so it's not an idle timeout....

Has anyone else got this far? Anyone experienced the same type of problem? Any suggestions / advice would be greatly appreciated and I'm happy to share the code I've written so far if anyone's interested,

Cheers, Dave.

I had a connection that kept dropping about every 10 minutes or so, I was dialing into an analog line tied straight into the remote PC. Turns out the analog line at the destination had some kind of pulse or something that was causing problem, it was a company switchboard type set up. Changed the settings to dial into the remote IP address instead of direct phone connection, and no more problems. I have since done away with PCAnywhere since the destination PC switched to XP, and now use Remote Desktop Connection, which is more stable for my particular situation.

Thanks for the suggestion sparrowce, I forgot to mention I am dialling into the hosts over IP through a dedicated 2mpbs line - so I don't think it can be due to pulses on the line or anything. We are tied to using PcAnywhere for the forseable future as all our client sites still run Windows NT.

I try to execute host network file, but nothing happended at all.
For example:
executehostfile("F:\test.exe")
Where F:\ is the host network drive.
I'm using Windows XP for both remote and host computer.
Is there any solution ?

I cannot find WINAWSVR.EXE!

I have PCAnywhere 10.5.1 Home Edition.

Does anybody know if winawsvr OLE automation server comes with Home Edition. Should I purchase 10.5 "normal" edition??

Thanks

Hi I've got a VB application that uses pcanywhere OLE
and works fine with pca 10.5. My customers are moving to pca 11. Can the application be ported to pca 11 or do I have to use the Command Queue ?

Rambleon

Hi, I have a similar problem that 'DaveDansey' had of making an interactive connection to a remote host. I'm using VB6 and I create an awrem32 object, then use the awConnect method and it dials the remote modem making a connection. I can enter the caller username & password but when I click OK, the window disappears. I guess it needs some kind of Show or ShowWindow method but there doesn't appear to be one.
Can anyone help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back