Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pcAnywhere - no remote screen every second dial-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

workperson

IS-IT--Management
Dec 11, 2003
AU
Running pcAnywhere 10.5.1 on Windows XP pro. On connecting to a dial-up remote, the connection goes through OK, but no remote screen appears. If I hang up and dial again it works fine. It's just costing me 2 phone calls for every connection!! Any help please?

are you using any anti-virus like mcafee or Computer Associates (Inoculate IT! or eTrust AV)Computer Associates (Inoculate IT! or eTrust AV) .. If you are then you need to download a patch! I am assuming you are manually trying to connect to a host! plus I know there were some problems with pcanywhere and XP, look for that info on symantec's website

workperson,
had the same issue and could not fix it. After an upgrade to pcAnywhere 11 on the remote machine everything works fine. BTW, connection is much faster although the host is still running on v.10.5 on a win 2k server.

SteelBurner

The patch that I think SteelBurner was talking about can be found here:
In the device manager, on both the host and remote, check the date and provider information for both the modem and display adapter drivers making sure that the provider of the driver(s) is from the manufacturer of the device and the date is the most recent (for PcA 11 after Jan 1st. 2003), make sure Direct X version is the most recent as well (e.g. Version 9.0b), and that the RAS service is disabled.

You may also want to check out the Knowledge base doc on symantec's site concerning TAPI issues:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back