Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCAnywhere Flickers on Host in Internet Explorer (Flash Windows)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 5, 2004
US

I'm having a couple of my customers that are running Windows 2000 SP4, IE 6.0 and have Pcanywhere 10.5 waiting in host mode for them to connect from home, etc. They are complaining about "flickering" in Internet Explorer when browsing the Internet on websites that have Flash or Java. You have to end the host from waiting for call, close out Internet Explorer and everything is ok.

I've googled it, searched symantec, microsoft and macromedia with no luck?

I suspect this is a video driver issue. How many computers? Are the host computers the same hardware? What about the remote computers?

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

It doesn't matter about the remote computers, it only happens only when the Host PC is waiting for call/connection and the user is in Internet Explorer 6.0 on Windows 2000 machines ONLY. If I stop PCAnywhere from waiting for call/conn and close out IE then restart it's OK.

I have never experienced this problem with XP or Win9X. It is not necessarily video driver problem unless it is something that both several NVIDIA chipsets and ATI chipsets do. I don't like the newer version 11 of PCAnywhere so I'm kinda sticking with 10.5 with it's liveupdates for now.

I've tried disabling the Vertical Refresh on the video cards. Tried new versions of Java and Flash. I'm clueless at this point and only solution I have it to close PCA and then they sometimes forget to restart it when they leave the office and go to work from home and can't.

I'll provide any more info, version #'s, dll's etc if that will help?

Can they simply work with a different browser? Firefox? I haven't seen this one before...

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

I'd rather not because I'll have to teach them how to use anything new I put on there. I'll try installing something alternative and see if it still happens.

Anyone else got any ideas?

Bump... Anyone else have this problem with a flickering Java and Flash windows?

THE ANSWER TO OUR PROBLEM. I asked a good friend (TC) who runs an IT department. He nailed it on the second suggestion. Install DirectX 9.0c. It worked for me. :D

Thanks TC.

Yes that was the solution. Thanks to TC. Most of the machines that had problems don't run games and I can see why the Direct-X was not upgraded from the 7.0 that comes with Win2000 now. I wonder what the actual problem was though with the re-draw of Flash and Java in relation to the Direct-X drivers?

Now I'd like to see if Symantec or Microsoft will actually post this as a fix. I'm going to email them the details and we'll see if Symantec still stands to it's statement that the only solution to this problem is to "upgrade to PCAnywhere 11"! LOL !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back