Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pcAnywhere, Dynamic IP and a Linksys router

Status
Not open for further replies.

givonnet

MIS
Oct 2, 2002
US
Can anyone briefly tell me how I can use pcAnywere to connect to a LAN?

Let me give you the specs:
-The DSL ISP hands out Dynamic IP addresses.
-I'm using a DSL Linksys router for their internet access.
-The machines are all WinXP

I'd like to connect to the LAN from my home and use pcAnywhere to trouble shoot the WinXP machines (the office is very far away).

Thanks,

Use the keyword search function here forum595 to search for 'ports' and 'NAT'. You will find your answer many times.

If you are trying to connect to a system that has a dynamic ip, youu will need to use a ddns server. You can find out about them at

Here i would like to say what i'm done

the first of all you have to setup VPN in the router (in the office site) then setup VPN client software in your computer (at home)you will able to connect them under dyamid ip with PC anywhere

I'm done on sonicwall but it expensive so you can try with linksys product the one has support vpn (as model BEFSR41 is cheap)
You can also check this site if you going to go with linksys router product
i hop it help

I'm confused. I thought that with PCAnywhere or VPN you had to have a static IP? How does this work?
Thanks

OK here is the point
when you done vpn configuration (host and client) all the computer both side they're on the same network Therefore, they can see each other by Dynamic IP
about PCanywhere in this case it's a application software for the connection it's not the device for connection.

By far the simplest way is:
1. Forget about pcAnywhere - I have had significant connection problems with this product under XP - simply use the Remote desktop facility of Windows XP...
2. At the office PC open Control Panel, System, Remote tab and check the Remote Desktop box
3. At the office Linksys router redirect port 3389 to the Office PC IP address (which should preferably be static)
4. At the office PC download and install a product called DeeEnnEss. Run it and follow the instructions and it will set up a dynamic dns name and will check your office Linksys IP address regularly and update the dynamic address if your ISP changes the DSL IP address.
4. From your home XP PC select on Start, Programs, Accessories, Communications and click on Remote Desktop. Type in your dynamic dns name et voila, you are in your office PC as if you were sitting in front of the screen!

Neat and simple, no VPN required.
If you need to support more than one PC, redirect different individual ports to each PC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back