Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCAnywhere connection to web server thru router issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vulp

IS-IT--Management
Jan 11, 2002
GB
Hi All
OK here is the setup:
Win XP pro client box (firewall off with static IP) running PCA 10.5 inside the LAN, attempting to connect through a managed Star Internet Broadband router/firewall to a W2K web server at an ISP server farm with a static IP also running PCA 9.2
The XP box is my desktop and the web server is my rented server both of which I have full admin access to.
The web server can except PCA connections from anyway apart from this client - it works fine in all other cases eg from friends houses and at home and with different versions of PCA.
Have asked Star to open up the two ports as specified by Symantec but still no joy.
Question is: What settings should i ask Star to change on the firewall/router to enable this connection?

Hi Vulpine,

As long as Star have Opened 5631 TCP and 5632 UDP you should be all good to go. In fact, most routers and firewalls do not require any configuration on the client side, only at the destination router. Are the ports opened at the ISP Server Farm end? I would assume so as others can connect to the server.

I recently had a client who had Win XP and SP2. I was having all sorts of problems with PCA and even our tried and tested reverse VNC wouldn't work. They had the XP firewall set to off, but still nothing. In the end, I had a local tech re-install SP2 and finally we got it going. So, if you have SP2 installed, perhaps a reinstall is in order.

Hope this helps.

Solved it!
Once I had told Star the IP address of the external server/host, it works fine. Apparently their (our) router doesn't use a stateless firewall so has to know the external IP. Not sure what this means apart from it now works!
thanks all
Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back