Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pcanywhere connection probs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitch87

Technical User
Mar 3, 2003
AU
Hi,
Im trying to use pcanywhere to connect to another computer via the 'Modem' host and remote.

Im using 10.5 on both ends.
Pcanywhere dials and connects to the host computer but instead of opening the host window, it brings up a blank black box. (Like a Command prompt, but its blank, and you cannot type anything)

Could it be a compatibility between desktops or Operating systems?

Information
Remote PC= Windows XP running PcAnywhere 10.5
Host PC= Windows 2000 running PcAnywhere 10.5

Thanks in advance
Mitch

Which authentication method are you using? If your using windows authentication you may be getting errors, check the logfiles for windows and PCA.

Dave

hey,

I adjusted both ends (server and remote) to be the same authentication method "pcanywhere".

But it still has the same problem. When it connects, and the black box comes up, I can see by the modem lights that there is no data going through.

Do I have to do something to get the session to start or to get data to flow. I saw a property that lets you execute a command or script upon connection. Should I put anything in there?

Thanks in advance
Mitch

Hi,

Try this setup a dial up connection / VPN or whatever into the HOST PC and check that you have network connectivity first: eg:- from a command prompt on the Remote PC type:
net view \\HOST_PC_NAME (or the name of the server on the HOST network) if you get a listing of the devices currently shared on the named machine, your connection is working correctly.

Now configure PC Anywhere to use TCP-I/P as the protocol and use WINDOWS Authentication and SECURITY at both ends.

I use PC Anywhere all over and this way it always works. PS it can take 10 seconds or so to get the first screen up when using a Modem connection.

I know that there was an issue in previous versions of pcaw with the desktop settings. It had something to do with the resolution or the color (not liking anything above 256 or 16 bit, cannot recall) May want to check that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back