Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pcanywhere and telephone switches 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

laufer321

Technical User
May 27, 2003
BA
OK here is a problem I want to share with everyone.

After installing pcanywhere 10.5 on my Win2000 Server administrator in the corporate HQ tried to make a connection with me as the host. Communication is made with basic 56K modems and after him dialing, the host answered the phone and opened black window at his desktop. That is the point where problem starts. Remote access never moved from there. He never got to enter login/password and total traffic over modem stopped dead at 70+/200+ bytes recvd/sent.
Now, the wierd thing is that when he became a host to me trying to meka the remote connection, the connection was sucessfully established and was fully functioning.
I suspect that the telephone system at the office tower I work at is cousing the trouble.
I wonder if anyone had similar expieriences that I can rely on.

Thanx.

Ok, so things got wierder.

I took my old junk of PC (PII with pre SE Win98 ans 33.6K modem) to my office ant got it connected to the same phone line my server uses and pcANYWHERE runs smoothly, connection both ways established etc.

Then I got my 33.6K modem connected to the server and same problem kept occuring menaing that ther is something wrong with the way pcANYWHERE 10.5 does working with Win2000 Server.

I have same kind of problem. No solution. When connecting to host I only get blank, DOS like screen whit blinking cursor.

In the host end something like this happens:
(maybe not in this order, dont know yet for sure)

-incoming call
-idle
-looking connection
-timeout

Ok! I know more about the problem now. Blank screen with PCanywhere text in it appears to my screen, even if the host is not running in the remote end! I guess that this is not normal behavior? We tested it allso with
laptop, same result! It seems to be oneway problem, cause if they try to call me, (no host's online) the result is normal: NO ANSWER

Could the problem be in telephone lines? Hopefully we can try with anoher phoneline and see if it helps.

Problem solved. Finally we got a change to test with another telephoneline. Everything worked just perfect. Funny thing, both phonelines were supposed to be identical.

We are having the same problem here. I've done everything listed in the faq on the symantec page (listed above) with no change. Watching the host side, it nevers changes from "Waiting for Connection", although the modem is initialized by PCA. To further muddy the waters, this is happening on 2 different servers, running 2 different brands of modems, and running 2 different versions of PCA (9.2.0 and 10.0) A different phone line does not help here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back