Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCAnywhere 11 Windows XP Slow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kescor

Technical User
Aug 16, 2001
US

I just recently replaced a Windows 98SE (Pentium II 400 MHZ, 128MB Ram) PCAnywhere 8 with a Windows XP (Pentium 4 2.6 GHZ, 512 MB Ram), PCAnwhere 11.

I connect via a dedicated ISDN 64 KB Connection. This has not changed.

I have run the Host optimization wizard, and set the host to "optimize for low bandwidth".

This new machine is very slow compared to the Windows 98 machine. I have verified this by connecting to both machines numerous times.

I'm getting fed up with PCAnywhere!

We use the machine for remote data entry, time cards, payroll etc.. So performance is a priority. We are also remote printing.

Thanks for your help!

I found some information on the Symantec website, technical forums. There are a lot of complaints with PCAnywhere 11 and speed. On the forums, it is recommended the host be configured for low bandwidth (I had already discovered this). It was said in there that some performance was sacrificed for stability and to resolve PCAnwhere's video problems.

Bottom line, I un-installed version 11 on the Windows XP machine and installed 10.5. There was a gain in performance but not as good as my final configuration: Windows 2000 with PCAnywhere 10.0.

Symantec needs to address the performance issue.

Windows 2000, rplaced pcAnywhere 105. qith 11.0. SLOW, fuzzy painting of screens, scrren too big, even with screen scaling. Could not get drop down arrows to work in MS Access program, nothing on Symantec site about this. Gave up and un-installed 11.0, went back to 10.5 and wokrs like a charm. Symantec needs to refund everyone for a premature product!!!! montrose

Learn what you can and share what you know.

Nope, haven't. I've lost faith in PCAnywhere. Looking seriously at NetOp.

If PCAnywhere 10.0 or 10.5 works, why the rush to upgrade? We tried NetOp and it was ok but we settled on PCA.

I would suggest that Timbuktu be avoided at all costs. It is really awful and their support could care less. We were looking for a Mac-Windows cross platform solution and they claimed to have it (pre-OSX). Not to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back