Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PCAnywhere 11.0 remote screen problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 4, 2002
US
Hi,

I have a friend who has PCAnywhere 11.0, HOST is windows 98, remote (also PCA 11.0) windows XP.

Connects fine, but you can't see anything on the screen unless you click on the screen, (guessing where everything is, but then if you right click the drop down box shows up empty, and doesn't go away.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanx

I havent seen pc anywhere 11 yet but I can guess that your problem is optimization, you may need to reduce your transfer speed to 38,400 and reduce your video colors(maybe) use the optimization wizard on your tools menu, may solve your issue! increasing cache space for pcanywhere helps too ...

running winxp home. a box comes up telling me I have 60 seconds to save what i,m doing before shutting down. also says initiated by NT/AUTHORITY, can,t download microsoft updates - keep getting the same page over and over. anyone-help? thanks

I think you have infected by the virus. Have you switched on your firewall? And pls go to windows update to get the related patches.

Bhb,
I am having the same problem. I haven't figured it out, but I am trying to narrow down the problem. I am suspecting that there is a poor connection between my two computers. They are networked via D-Link 614+ router. The XP machine is wired to the router and the Win 98 machine is using a wireless PCI card (D-link) with a wireless signal repeater(D-link) in between. I noticed that when I would ping the Windows 98 host from the XP remote, it would sometimes have a 25% packet loss. I have since gone to and ran a bandwidth test. I am not sure if a poor ping equals poor bandwidth but I used their autofix anyway and doubled my bandwith results on the Win 98 machine. Since then the XP machine pings fine (no lost packets yet) but the problem still remains. In addition, I ran the optimization wizard and there was no change. Lastly, I noticed when I went to the Windows 98 machine after disconnecting, it was virtually frozen. It appears as though something was using up all the memory (255 MB RAM installed). I had to reboot the computer with ctrl-alt-del. I thought that the memory problem could be caused by another program with a memory leak but it happened after a reboot. Thats all I have for now.

We have several servers and users on 11 and have had a wide range of issues. We ended optimizing the host for dialup level, even though they are on a high speed circuit. Remember to optimize both the HOST and the REMOTE features.

Dog,
I tried the optimization for both host and remote but the problem still remains. The wireless connection speed between the two computers also appears to be sufficient for pcAnywhere (about 640 Kbps). The pcAnywhere light indicator does flash indicating incoming/outgoing data but it seems like the screen never refreshes on my end. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back