Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pcanywhere 10, new at this

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronney

Technical User
Apr 13, 2002
US
Equipment:

Cayman dsl modem with 5 static IP's, connected to a 8 port switch connected to 7 work stations. Sever running win2000 server. workstation running win98se. Home pc running winxp pro.

I want to access my computer from home. I have full administrator rights. I know that all of my work stations are set to obtain a ip automatically. When start up pcanywhere host on my work station it shows a diferent IP address than the 5 known addresses. Even so when I set up the remote on my home pc with that ip address I get no responce. If I go to a website that gives you your IP address it does show one of the 5 known addresses. Regardless of witch ip address I use I still can not make a connection. I did not install the dsl. (Done by swb) Can someone please help?

Another Stupid question, when I put one of my ip addresses in the windows explorer address box I get a pop up asking for my user name and Password. What username and password???

Thanks for putting up with my rambling.

Could you verify, you say at the top that you have 5 WS's with static IP's. You then go on to say that all WS's are set to obtain a IP. Also I have pcAny "cache" IP's. Try to release the IP. Start> run> winipcfg and choose the option to release.

Could you verify, you say at the top that you have 5 WS's with static IP's. You then go on to say that all WS's are set to obtain a IP. Also I have seen pcAny "cache" IP's. Try to release the IP. Start> run> winipcfg and choose the option to release. Then renew the IP. Start pcAny again and see if the IP has changed.

The service, I am told, has provided 5 static IPs, but each work station is set to obtain an ip automatically.

It could be your DSL modem is set up to run NAT. So it gives your internal PCs unpublished numbers which show as the published numbers to the outside world. That is why you get a login when browsing to the published number - it is the login for admin to your DSL router. You need access to the DSL router for configuration. Give examples of the IP addresses you are seeing and that would help.

Assigned IPs with my dsl account:

When I start a host session in pcanywhere on my work station, it tells me it is waiting at 192.168.1.2. It seems that I have seen another ip address, but this one is the most common one that occurs.

Your router is doing NAT, so you have to configure a static NAT map which relates a specific unpublished number (the 192.186...) to a specific published number (the 66.138...). You need access to the router configuration to change that.

how do I access the router, and how do I make the appropriate changes?

You need to get the user name and password (probably from your ISP/Cable provider). If you bought the modem, there are probably instructions along with a default name and password. I'm not familiar with the Cayman, but the interface is probably browser based.

Thanks for your help. We just had it installed. I will check out the documentation and see what i can do.

Ok, I finally got the information from Southwestern Bell on how to access the router. (You would think I was trying to launch the Space Shuttle!). When I acess the router and go to "pin hole" it has this information:

Web-HTTP Port: 80
Telnet Port: 23
NAT Default Host: Off
Default Host Address: 0000

It then has a place to add entries.
I followed the following instructions I found in the Southwestern Bell Knowledge Base dealing with pcAnywhere.

1.Browse into the Cayman router.

2.Click on the " Expert Mode" link.

3.Click on the " Pinhole" link.

4.In the Pinhole Entry table, in the first line, type the name you would like associated with the pinhole.

5.Protocol " TCP" should be selected.

6.In the " External Port Start" and " External Port End" field, type 5631 .

7.In the " Internal IP Address" field, type the internal IP of the machine you wish to connect. (Example 192.168.1!'

8.In the " Internal Port" field, type 5631 .

9.Then click add. The table will expand one row ready to accept another entry.

10. NEXT:

11.Again type the name you would like associated with this pinhole.

12.In the new field, select the " UDP" protocol.

13.In the " External Port Start" and " External Port End" field, type 5632 .

14.In the " Internal IP Address" field, again type the internal IP of the machine you wish to connect. (Example 192.168.1.1)

15.In the " Internal Port" field, type 5632 .

16.Then click add. The table will expand one row ready to accept another entry.

17.When finished, click the " Home" button. Now at the home page restart the Cayman router to allow the changes to take effect.

1) The problem is with step 16. When I add the first entry, no problem. When I add the second entry, the 1st entry is replaced. No matter what order I enter the two entries the first is replaced. I tried doing one at a time and saving between entries with the same result. So I either have the TCP or UDP entry. Am I on the right track?? I asked bell support and they said "Duh beats me" can you beleive it?

You might see if Cayman (now Netopia) has a solution or maybe a firmware upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back