Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC100/PC133 and more Qs for LapTop RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

InZomnia

Programmer
Dec 29, 2005
I got an old laptop, it's 1 ghz, but it only has 128 mb ram, so it's REALLY slow.

I asked the support what kinda ram it needs, and got this answer:
The machine can take 256mb of 144 sdram and there is 2 slots on the
machine.

I guess he means: 256mb, SDRAM, SO-DIMM 144 pin?? But it doesn't say if it should be PC100 or PC133??
... the ram already in the laptop is PC100, but the PC133 is cheaper. Can I choose the faster/cheaper one?
And there are heaps of terms on the net like: PC133CL3, 64 bit, and so on...

Can someone who knows about ram for laptops please help me 3 minutes, either tell me something like:
"Any ram that says: 256 mb, SO-DIMM 144 pin, SDRAM, will be useable on your laptop, no matter if its PC100 or PC133"

or

find the RAM I need...? This is the site where you find parts from all dealers in Denmark

- click on "Avanceret", choose the right parameters and hit "Søg" and copy paste the url of the cheapest/best ram that will be useable for me.

Thanks ALOT!! :)

Any ram that says: 256 mb, SO-DIMM 144 pin, SDRAM, will be useable on your laptop, no matter if its PC100 or PC133
This is a true statement for most but un-true for some. As you did not specify the laptop it is difficult to offer any definitive answer as to PC133 being compatible. As you currently have PC100 this would be the safe path albeit more expensive.

There are many ram mfg's tht have selectors based upon the make & mdl and you could cross ref their suggestions to determine what speed they are recommending.

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Thanks alot!

It's a Hi-Grade Notino 3400, but I cant find any specs on the net.

(It sucks that they dont keep that data somewhere. Do you know a site where they keep that kind of data??)

Btw the difference between PC100 and PC133, is it only 33%? and will 1x PC100 + 1x PC133 work together?

This Notino was also marketed as the Atlas Flyer 3400. During its life, it came with a P3 or Celeron from 1-1.2GHz - all with 133MHz FSB. It supports PC133MHz memory up to 512MB (2 x 256MHz PC133 144-pin SODIMMs).

If you go to Crucial and search on the Atlas variant, you will see that they recommend PC133. As their prices are very competitive, their reputation is excellent and they guaranteee compatibility, I suggest you order on line from them. Usually I get memory delivered next day.

Regards: tf1

I couldn't find any conclusive specs either on the Notino 3400. Hi-Grade's website doesn't even list it.

In Windows, I would use a utility like CPUID or Belarc Advisor to find out more info about the CPU you have installed. Make sure the CPU is compatible with 133MHz frontside bus speeds before you decide to ditch the PC100 module that's in there now.

Also keep in mind that in MOST situations, PC133 will work fine on any motherboard that supports PC100. However, many PC133 modules were manufactured differently in terms of density. Because many 128MB and 256MB PC133 DIMMs are single-sided, they are often more dense than their PC100 counterparts. As a result, some older motherboards can have problems recognizing the full amount, or could spit a POST error in your face.

If the price difference isn't drastic and you discover that your CPU only needs the 100MHz FSB speed, then going with PC100 is the safer choice.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

It's a rebadge Atlas Flyer 3400 which is why it isn't listed as such on the Notino support site.

Regards: tf1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back