Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC, works not work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil272

IS-IT--Management
Apr 16, 2003
US
I have a couple of gateway PCs that sometimes work and sometimes not. Will not allow me to restore (at Dos prompt I get the message: "this CD is for a gateway system". Well this is a gateway system). Also, it sometimes reconizes the NIC card and other times it tells me it cant find the driver and I need to install updated one (I've done the numurous times). I have installed all the updates off of Gateways web site and still have the same problem.

Is this a motherboard issue, BIOS, or What!!!

Systems: both are E-3400, WIN98, PIII, Memory 128.

Appreciate the Help,
Phillip

With Win98 one must never discount the possibility that the OS is a little jumbled and becoming more so. Although it sounds like you will be haveing bad sector problems and slowing on the HD soonish. If you have not enabled smart drive in the Bios do, yes its a little slower but it will warn you that your HD is getting slow sections etc prior to a total failure. No harm getting another HD and copying it all and re-installing 98. With a PIII it won't take too long.

Vangola (Yer man from Dublin)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back