Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC wont turn itself off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimsav

Technical User
Jan 18, 2003
US
I have have just updated a friends PC with new m/board and processor etc. However when windows shuts down the PC will not power off. A screen comes up with the message 'It is now saf to turn off your cmputer'. The only way to close down the PC is by switching it off at the back.

The operating system is XP Professional. the motherboard is a ECS M825.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

thanks

Jim

Hi Jim
If the computer powers right back up when you hit the rear switch it's a bad/shorted power button.
Try clearing cmos and load optomized defaults.
There is also a known problem with these boards and not having enough power supply to run them.
Ed

Thanks Ed

There is no problem with the pc powering back upwhen i hit the rear switch - it turns off as it should do. An it turns back on via the front 'on switch as it should do.it is only the fact that it needs switching off from the power supply burtton at the back which is a problem.

could a lack of power d that? how do i clear the cmos - tae the battery out overnight? - i no longer have the manual for the board

thanks
jim

Howdy:

Your problem has absolutley nothing to do with a shorted power switch..

Boot into BIOS and make sure ACPI is enables.. Then, Start>Control Panel>Power Options

Make sure APM (Advanced Power Management) is enabled..

Apply and okay out..

Now try it..

Murray

The problem you have here as suggested may be an ACPI issue. Or it may just be an issue of holding down the power button. Try holding down the power button for at least 30 seconds. It should turn off in 7 seconds or less but if you hold it for 30 seconds and nothing happens...then you know you definitely have a problem somewhere (maybe ACPI).

Murray,

Thanks for that info. I was not able to reformat and set up XP until i had turned the ACPI off in the BIOS, but as soon as i did this it loaded OK. Unfortunately, although i have now gone back into the bios and enabled it, the PC will still not power off. when i go into Power Options in the control panel, the advanced tab does not include anything on it where i can enable APM. Nor does any other part of the Power Options Properties function.

Am i right in thinking that this is because ACPI was disabled prior to XP being put on. Is there any way around this without reinstalling XP, which i cant if i dont disable ACPI anyway.

Do i need to flash the BIOS (which i have never done before) and then reinstall?

Thanks for your help.

Also, thanak you Freestone for the links to the manual.

Jim

Here's how to do it.
Your problem is that xp doesn't recognize your mb
ACPI bios (possibly bacause APIC is disabled) .

Follow the istructions with the F5 variant at theeldergeek.com .
And choose "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC" as your Hardware Absraction Layer.
or
ACPI-Uniprocessor PC.
(Also make sure APIC is enabled in the BIOS)

Alreting ACPI is bios on an installed xp ,doesn't fix it.

You did reload windows for the new Motherboard right?

Driver support for a new motherboard may be different from the old one. Motherboard may also have a chipset driver disk for that particular motherboard. WinXP may not like you replacing a motherboard; it may mess up your registration.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back