Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC wont start without cd in drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbs604

Instructor
Jun 7, 2003
AU
Got this win98 FE pc with a 48x16x cd-rw that will not start without a cd, any cd, in the drive. It gives a blue screen error '0e' on start unless there is a cd in the drive.

Once started, it will not let me remove that cd - as soon as the draw opens, a blue screen "put cd rom serial number.... in the drive" appears. Re-insert the cd and all is well, except I cannot chnage cd's.

I believe the owner may have installed something like "easy cd creater" or a name similar to that, that may have been the start of the problems. Cannot find any installed programs that look anything like it.

Got any ideas on what is causing this, and what steps to take?

Cheers,
Brodie

Did u try changing the boot to floppy instead of cd?

It's fine in safe mode as the cd is not active.

It's not actually 'booting' from the cd. It will not start unless there is a cd, any cd, in the drive.

Cheers,
Brodie

So what happens when you disconnect the CD from the system and boot normally?

If you get to the point where you have exhausted all hardware issues and you still have the problem, then you might to search around on your hard drive for any signs of easy cd creator. That prog is notorious. However, were it me, i would head for the registry and look to delete references to easy cd creator in the registry. Thats because i have had those kind of probs before with easy cd creator but switched over to nero few years ago.
Make a backup of your registry before you go into it and if in doubt about a reference then best to leave it in. I wouldnt be surprised if you reported 10 different references in your registry.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Have not tried physically disconnecting as yet, because the pc is an essential part of a small business. In other words, I have to pick the right moment.

Will try a 'search and destroy' of easy cd creator next and report back.

Cheers,
Brodie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back