Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC wont start up after new OS installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimsav

Technical User
Jan 18, 2003
US
My son had a PC that was running Windows ME but kept hanging up and needed closing down every 5 or 10 minutes. I formatted the C drive and loaded XP Professional onto it. When i put the hard drive into my PC it works perfectly. However when i put it back into my sons PC the PC will boot up only to the page where it says windows was closed down improperly and offers the option of Safe mode, Last known good Configuration, or start as noraml. Safe mode just gives a list of locations, whildt all of the other options just lock the PC up.

The motherboard is PC Chips 810L. Processor is Athlon XP1700, 512 SDRam.

I have cleared the CMOS memory in case this was the problem - no luck.

Any suggestions that i can try before i go out and buy him another (non PC Chips) motherboard.

Thanks
Jim

On which pc did you use to install the OS ?? If you used your pc to install it on then put it into his you will have many problems which you will not be able to overcome.

There are hardware issues, driver issues. You need to do the install on the computer it will be used on. You will need to format and reinstall your operating system.

okiepc

I put it in mine as i was having trouble doing it in my sons.

Since your reply i decided to try to format the driv ein my sons pc, but when i turn it on it is only getting as far as checking nvram' on the start up screen (just after 'Athlon XP 1700'). It will not go any further than this.

Any idea what this means.

wow, there are a number of things going on here that need to be addressed. first did you partition with fdisk and then format your drive? After that is your boot sequence set for cdrom as first boot? Please give a little more information

thanks
okiepc

There's a hardware problem with your son's PC - could be any hardware component. I'd suggest testing RAM first - if you have same sort of RAM in your machine, try it in his. Then if this doesn't solve problem - its elimination issue (again if your hardware is compatible with his machine - particularly cpu, you've got a good chance of finding probelm - it could be just mobo - lots of 'pcchips is rubbish' reports here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back