Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC won't shut down automatically on shut down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jparkhill

Technical User
Aug 15, 2002
US
I have a clone PC with ATX form motherboard and an AMD processor.

I recently upgraded the hard drive from Win 98se to Win 2000 and now the PC does not power down when I go through the Shut Down procedure. When the message comes up, "It's now safe to shut down your computer" I must hold the power button for 6-8 seconds to turn off the power.

Before the upgrade was made, the PC would shut down (power off) in sequence with the Shut Down procedure.

I know this must be simple, but I've never had this occur before now. Thanks for the replies...

- Jan

In XP atleast there is sometimes an extra tab in the Power Options of the Control Panel, I think the tab was called "APM", and had that checkbox availalbe; though only on some computers does that tab appear. I think there might also be an APM setting somewhere in the bios that helps out.

The message you see says that the computer is not hanging during shut-down, just that somewhere somehow the OS is not aware that it can shut itself off, or isn't aware that you want it to shut itself off.

Go to your control panel - power options - apm ( advanced power management)and check it to activate.

It has to do with your power management options. Check your power options in the control panel. It is set there although I don't remember where.

I don't seem to have the APM option in Power Options under Control Panel, but I have the setting in my BIOS. I've also learned from other sources that the APCI "must" be turned on in BIOS BEFORE you install Win2k O/S otherwise Win2k install does not load the necessary drivers.

That could be troublesome if I'm required I format and reinstall Win2k again..I'll try the settings you suggest and then perhaps, reinstall W2k over the existing setup to see if it detects the APCI setting change in BIOS.

Thanks for the speedy replies...

Jan

Since it seems to be a win2k problem perhaps you would get quicker answers if you posted in the win2k forum.

Franklin666

My initial issue dealt with "ATX form motherboards and shut down issues" that eventually led to a Win2k issue. In the spirit of assisting one another, several forum members put forth their effort and knowledge to assist me. I greatly apprciate the help and faith I received from those members.

Where did you come from? The forum had been completed without your abrupt, terse comment. Did you have anything positive to add?

Good luck in life, dude. You might look around and smell a rose now and then...

Jan

My comment was to the effect that since your computer shut down correctly in 98 and now does not in win2k the problem is with the settings you have in win2k. Since this is a hardware forum and there is a win2k forum available I would think they could help you with your software problem. If I can say what I want in few words why do I need to be verbose.

1) Go to your control panel
2) power options - apm ( advanced power management)
3) check it to activate.

If this is not working update all your files when you change O/S. Go to the internet and select
-tools
-window update
-select components to update
-service packs that need to be updated
This might help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back