Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC won't read my CD-Writer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yazizam

MIS
May 21, 2002
CA
When I reboot the PC, it wont read my CD-R. I have checked ASPI installation. its ok, but I cant have my drive back. I also went to Safe Mode, deleted CD-R in System Properties, went back to normal and still didnt read any new hardware. I am totally confused. [3eyes]
Can anyone help? [sad]

Go into the device manager and search for and devices which are unknown or any errors. Erase them. If that dosnt work then in the control pannel start the add new hardware wizard and see if it detects anything. Then if that does not work run the add new hardware wizard again but this time set it to select from a list. Pick your hardware and install it. Then when it is finished if you have a seperate driver for it go to the device manager and change it.

Hope this Helps
Brett Cheat Life With Our Help
-- --

Your problem could be a simple matter of hardware connection. Meaning, dust could be interfering with the communication from your CD-ROM. Depending on what version of Windows you have, the problem shouldn't be too difficult to fix. I had a similar problem with my floppy drive and CD-ROM drive when installing 98 onto one of my computers. All my computer needed was a good inside cleanup job. You could try for "Add new hardware" and see if your computer detects your RW. If you've checked your Device Manager and you can't seem to fix your RW problem by updating the driver or such, then disconnect the drive and try the "Add new hardware" again and let your system detect the drive and reinstall the proper driver for that drive.

I hope this helps. -----
Jeffrey Lee
deusromulus@rogers.com

I had a similar problem and this worked:
First install a second CD drive, (a regular CD drive).
Then install the CD-RW software from the regular CD.
Somehow that worked. The CD-RW couldn't install itself by reading the installion software off it's own CD.

Or, maybe try copying the installation CD to a temporary folder on the C: drive. Then run the install from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back