Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC won't boot up AT ALL

Status
Not open for further replies.

kara3334

Instructor
Oct 23, 2003
Hi,

My client's Win ME desktop doesn't boot up at all. When she pushes the power button, the lights on the tower go on for about 5 seconds, and then the computer goes dead. Nothing appears on the monitor. Is this a sign of hard drive problems or could it be something else. How do I find out?

Thanks.

Kara

It's something on the motherboard or the power supply. If it was the hard drive (other that a short) you would get a bios screen.

Yea, I am actually having s imilar problem. I just built a new PC myself, and everything seems to be installed properly, but it won't turn on. I turn on the switch on the back of the PSU, which glows indicateing that tis on. Then I hit the power button on the front of the tower. The lights/fans go on for a split second, but then immediately shut off. Then when I try to start again, nothing at all happens, but if I reset the PSU by hitting the on/off switch in the back, I can get the fan/lights to go on for a split second again.

The only thing that is troubling me though is that when I was installing the heatsink, I had to put a relatively large amount of pressure to get the spring clips to click in. Would this be a possible cause for the problem?

Make sure the heatsink is on the right way round. But, yes, some heatsinks do take quite an amount of pressure to get the clips attached.

Well, the heatsink is on coorectly, I just wasn't sure if I damaged it. But now that I think of it, that probably isn't the problem... I has to be a PSU issue or something, because I would at least be able to get to the CMOS if the CPU was damaged, right?

<I would at least be able to get to the CMOS if the CPU>

No, if the CPU is bad, that's exactly what would happen! Is the fan for the CPU spinning on power-up? What CPU are you using? If Intel, it will run slower and slower if it gets hot because of a bad fan. If AMD, it won't come on if the CPU fan isn't spinning.

Nope, the CPU fan comes on as well as every other fan and light in the case for a split second, but then everthing goes off. I just sent this email to the tech support at the company I bought the PSU from:

"I bought a PSU/Case from you guys and just reecently assembled the computer. I think the PSU may be faulty. When I press the power button all the fans/lights go on for about 1/2 a second and then they all go off. Then if I press the button again nothing happens, but if I reset the PSU with the switch on the back I can get the lights/fans to turn on for a split second again. It sounds like a PSU probelm because edven if something were not seated properly, I would still be able to get to the CMOS, right?. I will make sure everything is seated properly after sending this email though. I also tried unplugging everything from the PSU except the hard drives, mobo, and the video card. Should I send this back RMA for a replacement, or what would you suggest I do?

~Jeff Ruhle~:

I am going to see what they recommend, but the probelm is they don't always do what is best for me, but for the company.... I checked to make sure everything was seated properly, and it is, the only thing I didn't do was take off the heatsink/fan and check the CPU. I am convinced this is a PSU problem though, because everthing turns on and then goes off like 1/4 a second later. My suspicion is that there may be a short circuit somewhere causeing the PSU to overload and shut down.

Echoe

Do you have a spare psu to test? This would be the fastest way to determine if it is the problem. If you don't have one you should definitely acquire one for testing purposes. Disasemble and reassemble the pc just to make sure everything is on right - and definitely remove the cpu and inspect to make sure there are no bent pins. PSU or CPU definitely could be problem - also check mobo manual to verify troubleshooting steps.

pcrtech

Alright, I will try an extra PSU, although it is only 300 Watt, but it will work for testing purposes. I can't believe I didn't think of that earlier... But I don't think any of the pins on the CPU would be bent. I put it in the right way and there was no resistance. However I might have crushed/damaged something when I put the heatsink on. Thanks for your help!

Have you tried minimal approach (ie, disconnect everything you can - just leave cpu, RAM (if morethan 1 stick, just use each on its own) keyboard and graphics card connected (ie, disconnect all drives and cards). Now see if it will power up. If it does, connect one at a time.

Yea, I am actually still working on finding a time to connect the toher Power Supply... If this PSU does not work either though, I will most certainly take that aproach. THanks for the advice! I really appreciate it ;-)

~Jeff~

If you are using a P4 or Celeron make sure you have BOTH power plugs plugged in. One is the large rectangular one oand one is a small 4 pronged one. Make sure you have the cpu can plugged in and on the correct plug. Some mobos will shut off to avoid damaging the CPU if the fan is not on.

Shannan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back