Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC won`t shut off

Status
Not open for further replies.

seadooman

Technical User
Nov 25, 2002
I have a nb72-sc motherboard w/1.7 pentium, all of a sudden it wont shut down it starts too but then reboots.Poss. pwr. supply???

Had windows me, then went back to 98se.

Here's a rather lengthy series of fixes from one of the best sites on the matter:

How about Power Management settings in Control Panel.
Have NEVER in all 3 of the fill-ins?
Go into the BIOS and turn off all the wake-on settings, too.

Then try it...it may fixit.

Thank you I will try your suggestions,and get back to you if they dont work. thanks again.

IF you have a backup of your system prior to the problem putting it back on will clear the problem.

If this is the case make sure you copy off what you neeed before you reload your backup.

Regards.

Go to Start - Run - msconfig - advance, and check if Disable Fast shut down is ticked or not. If its ticked, then untick it and vice versa.

Perhaps you have a very fast HDD and some configurations and installations were left unfinished and your pc ended up being messed up

If this is the case, then you will need to download the patch from Windows Update to slow the Windows Shutdown.

Don't know if this is your case, but I have run into a shut down issue like that before in 98se and it was tied to the mapped drives. found the fix for it from microsoft by going to and do a search on shutdown power down issues then limited the search to 98.

Ta! hope it helps.

BTW, for some reason about every month or so the patch "forgets itself" for some reason unknown to me and I have to re patch it again.

Steve F

OK.I have checked everything you guys have suggested,but it didn`t work.Let me be alittle bit clearer on the problem.Its a brand new system,I have tryed win2k,win98se,winme,. The problem is the computer works normally,until you shut it down,when it gets to the screen just before competely shutting down the one that says (Its now safe to shut off your computer) the screen goes blank but then theres a click I hear from the power supply and it boots back-up.Everything isnt over a month old,includeing the pwr supply.and it didnt do this at firstit toke a couple of weeks before it happened,I have formated and tryed many different os`s but nothing has worked yet. Please Help if you can.

Ok, do you have a good virus scanner with up-to-date
virus definitions? May be a virus.

Also repeating someone else, run through everything on
the checklist on this website...

good luck.

Do you have any external devices???....i know some USB devices(scanners mostly) from HP were known to stop computers from shutting down prop!

No its barebones right now,Haven`t put into service.Just monitor,keyboard,mouse,speakers.

Double check the case to motherboard connectors...one of them 180 degrees out might cause it. (like the reset)
The connector pattern should be labeled (either in the manual or silk-screened onto the motherboard) with a + for the positive.
For this reason, a magnifying glass is a given in my toolkit...there's a lot of info silk-screened onto the mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back