Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC with no Flash Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawsie

IS-IT--Management
Jan 6, 2003
CA
What should I do with my flash movie in order to accomodate PCs with no flash player? should I link flash movie to the HTML file of the movie or should I just replace it with a normal paragraph?

Thanks

Sawsie

Thank you for the link. I tried that but it only works if I the movie plays when the site download. I have my flash movies playing when someone click on a link. How can I use detection and redirection for each link to a flash movie?

Thanks,

Sawsie

According to this (might be biased but...) the penetration of Flash is 98%. Are your potential viewers really in the left 2%?

Regards,

oldman3.gif

I can understand your concern.. I work in an organization where many of our PC's DO fall into that 2% -- they're typically workstation type units that are used primarily for running proprietary business software. Recently, I've been introducing Flash to the organization for training purposes, and we've run into a similar problem.

If the PC has no flash player whatsoever, the download is automatically initiated based on the URL in the object tag of the html file.. it looks like this for Flash Player 6:
codebase="
If the PC has an outdated version of the flash player, you can then use the detect to initiate a new download.

Our biggest problem was with novice users being scared to click 'yes' to accept the download.. because they didn't understand what they were getting, or why.. so it becomes a training issue.

Hope that helps,
T

Thanks for the information.

My questions now is am I suppose to place the script for flash detections in a new index page or on the my site index page that I already created? and if it is a new index page, should I link it to my site index page?

Sawsie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back