Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC will not shut down

Status
Not open for further replies.

dekgordon

Technical User
Nov 7, 2002
GB
Guys,

I am building a new PC - I've attached all the case wires as stated in the MSI 648 Manual.

Now, when I power on it all works fine - However, pressing the power switch reset's the PC - It doesn't switch off.

Also, if you select shutdown in XP it reset's it and it then proceeds to restart!

Anyone got any ideas on why this is happening?

Thanks

Are you holding down the power button for at least four seconds? Have you done all the latest updates for XP? If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

This is not a specific Windows XP issue - You can't switch it off as soon as you turn the PC on! I thought maybe the connectors where on the wrong way round on the motherboard - However, it didn't make any difference.

Derek

As Rockerfellerz mentioned, did u try holding down the button for a few seconds. Some boards, allow u to use the same power button as a reset switch and the off switch.

ex: hold the button for 2 secs to reset and 4 for off.

Also u should double and triple check the wires are in the place. Like having the reset wires and the power switch wires in each other's place.

Power off after holding down the switch for 4 seconds is not a window feature, its a motherboard one.

What are you BIOS power settings ?

Try booting up in safe mode by pressing f8 when you first turn the computer on. Then log in as admin. and then go to the desktop. When the desktop has loaded it only has a minimal amount of drivers loaded. Now go to start, shutdown and it should do it. If it shutsdown that tells you that it's a software issue. A software program running in the background preventing it from shutting down. You should be able to hold your on/off switch down for for 4 sec. just in case your computer locks and you need to hard boot. Good luck, Keep us posted.
Cindy
[2thumbsup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back