Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC will not load Windows ME, Help!!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RookieDBO

Technical User
Sep 20, 2001
CA
Before I go out and buy a new hard drive, I'd like to ask you guys for solutions. I can not get to ME. It say's "Insert Disk, Failure to Boot" befor ME loads up. I've used a start up disk that I created with ME when it was running fine. It did not solve the problem. I decided to format my hard drive but it would not let me via start up disk. So I ended up partitioning my hard drive via start up disk so I can format it. I was able to go through with the partition. But did not allow me to format. I get an error. I give up. I also see red light on and off with my HD indicator. Does that mean it's a dead hard drive? I've tried Win2000 and XP as a boot disk so I can use it to partition, that doesn't work either. I get an error. Please help.

Thanks,
RookieDBO

OK, this is going to be a lengthy process, so please bare with me. You are going to install windows, then re-format, then re-re-install windows again.
------------------------------------------------------------
First get your Windows Re-Installation CD, start your computer, and put the CD in. Then re-start computer and tap DELETE key, until you are presented with the setup screen. There should be a section called boot go to it, then choose the first type to be ATAPI CD-ROM. Save changes to the system (might be F10, not sure for your computer, it will say somewhere, might be under exit tab). Then the computer will re-start and automatically load from the CD. Then you will be prompted with 2 questions. Choose boot from CD, then you will be prompted with 3 choices, choose "Run Windows setup from CD", windows should start to re-install onto the hard-drive. It will take approx 45 min-1 hour. You will have to answer some questions and enter Windows Product key. Then you will be in windows. Then follow these instructions on how to format your computer, and re-install windows again. FAQ748-1599 (look half way down or so and look for this heading:
------------------------------------------------------
Full In-Stallation of Windows format Hard Drive
------------------------------------------------------

and follow those instructions. I also suggest you print this out, and print the FAQ so you can read it as you go.

Also I suggest you make a new start-up disk, just in case, have a blank floopy disk available to create the new startup disk, and use the new one when prompted to use it in my FAQ. Instructions on how to do that are also in the FAQ.

Hope everything works out ok!
This process will take approx 3 hours to complete, then you will have to re-install your drivers, programs, etc.
colorado.gif
"Quest for the Cup - 2002!"​

This Delluser's explanation sounds incorrect. There are two parts to this post, the second one is your target and is from the tutorial at the first part is by me and FYI. More to follow!

Clean-installing Windows

Backup all your sensitive files (letters, pictures, databases, spreadsheets, IE favorites, OE contacts lists and e-mails, etc.) to removable media first.

You'll need a Windows Me or Windows 98 Startup Disk, and if you're doing a 'fresh' install of Win95 you'll need a 'true' copy (not a copy made from a friend's copy) of Win 3.1 or 3.11 to prove to the Win95 install program you're a previous owner of Windows plus a copy of DOS 5.0 or higher installed on your Hard Disk (HDD) first after the intial format. When ready start the computer with a Windows 98 Startup Disk in the [A] drive; at the A:\ type 'format c:', without the quotation marks.

If you're installing Win98 you'd need the Windows 95 CD to prove to the Windows 98 install program you're a previous owner of Windows. To do a fresh install of Windows Me you'd need to have a Windows 98 installation CD on hand for the same reason.
Then insert your Windows Me or Windows 98 Startup Disk into the floppy drive and restart your machine by holding down the Ctrl + Alt + Delete keys on your keyboard. Start with CD-ROM support when prompted. At [A] prompt type 'format c:', without the quotation marks. Scan Disk will run then strike the tab key once when scan Disk is done and strike the Enter key on your keyboard. *** Note that your modem won't work after a fresh install.

The modem software will have to be re-installed with the installation software on floppy or CD from the manufacturer when Windows setup is all done. The modem hardware can stay in place if you have the installation CD or disk that contains the valid driver. You can consult your modem maker or computer maker's website or technical support phone lines if necessary. Win9x setup will not have the compatible modem drivers is 95% of cases. If you can not obtain that install floppy or CD BEFORE the format do not proceed or prepare to buy a new modem. Especially if the modem came pre-installed on your machine from the factory.

For clean installs: If you're installing Windows 95 you'll need the computer's mainboard drivers, DOS 5.0 or higher, and Windows 3.1 or higher; if your instaling Windows 98 you'll need a Win95 CD or floppies on hand; If your installing Windows Me you'll need a Windows 98 CD on hand. In other words you need a previous viable version of the installation program to the Operating System (OS) you're trying to install fresh. Plus with Windows 95 you also need DOS 5.0 or higher installed on the drive first, if you're using an Upgrade not a full version. A Windows 98 (or higher) Startup Disk is mandatory.
If you're installing Win95 on a system that already has Win 3.1 or 3.11 on it you're fine if there's enough HDD space to hold it. **** Note that Win95 any version didn't come with Internet Explorer on it. IE came with the OS CD purchase on a separate CD. If you don't have both CDs and the original OS CD sleeve with CD Key on it don't even start.
The requirements for using Win95 were 386 or higher and 4 MB RAM but to use IE 4.0 were higher, a 486 66 MHz or higher and 12 Mb RAM and for both about 45 MB hard disk space Win 95 and 72 MB for IE 4.0 (120 MB HDD space total?), a 14.4 baud modem or higher, 56 K modem is necessary now, OK?

How to Start Again From Scratch

Most of the time you can resolve Windows problems with diligent troubleshooting. But sometimes, you just can't figure out the problem, reinstalling Windows didn't work, and you are tired of having troubles and want to start from scratch with a nice clean slate by reinstalling your operating system and all your applications software. This can be surprisingly easy, however, it must be done correctly - or you'll get plenty of practice doing it again. This tutorial is designed to help you make the process as easy and problem-free as possible.
Before we begin, there are a few items that I must address:

This material is presented "as is" and nobody can be held responsible for any damages or problems that might occur from the use or misuse of this information. Ultimately it is you that is responsible for what you do on your computer.

If you are running a system with an older bios that does not support LBA mode for large hard disks and are using some sort of disk manager or overlay program like EZBIOS so your hard drive can be recognized, please consult the program's documentation for instructions.
Do not proceed with this method!

If you are using a third party boot manager program like System Commander (used to boot multi operating systems), consult the program's documentation for instructions on removal.

If you own a brand name computer like Compaq or IBM for example, you may not have a Windows CD. Instead you might have a "Restore CD" (or even a hidden partition on your drive) that will return your system to the state it was in when it left the factory. If you have one of these, I highly recommend that you use it. You just run the program on the CD and follow the directions and it will do all the work for you; and you will not have any driver related problems. Consult your Owner's Manual or contact the manufacturer for more information.

Pre-Format Check List!

Have ALL driver disks on hand. If any of your hardware is using drivers from the manufacturer make sure that you have them. Do not proceed unless you have downloaded the most recent version of all drivers to floppy disks, or you know for a fact that Windows detects and installs drivers for all your hardware. These are things you must know before you format your hard drive. To find out more about your hardware and drivers, use the Device Manager utility in System Properties. The fastest way to get there is to right click on the My Computer icon on the desktop and choose Properties from the menu. This is System Properties (same as double clicking System in Control Panel). Click the Device Manager tab and you will see hardware categories in a familiar expanding tree structure. Click the + sign to expand a tree and highlight a device and click the properties button. Click the available tabs to view things like resources used, device status, driver files used and provider and date of the device driver. For example, if they say "Microsoft" as the provider, then you are assured that the driver came from the Windows CD and wasn't installed from a third party vendor's diskette. You can print all of the information in device manager too if desired; this could make it easier to troubleshoot problems and also make it easier for someone else to help you if you have this to refer to in times of need. When you first open Device Manager, "Computer" is highlighted at the top of the tree. Clicking the Print button will print all of the information in device manager.

Back Up Your Data Files.

Save your data files like documents, spreadsheets, pictures, sounds, address books, mIRC script, etc. to another drive (or floppy disks, Zip disk, CD-R, etc.). Don't forget your web browser's bookmarks! Do not proceed until you have triple checked to make sure you aren't forgetting anything. Even after triple checking you may discover something you forgot after its too late.

Make SURE you have a boot disk that can access your CD ROM drive. I cannot stress this enough. Boot with your boot disk and ensure that the drivers that are loading can access your CDROM. Insert the Windows CD and change to the CDROM drive letter and type DIR to make sure you can read the Windows CD. To make double sure, open a file like ReadMe.txt.

Make SURE you have the Product Key for your Windows installation. Depending on how it was purchased, the Product Key could be on a little sticker on the back of your Windows CD jewel case (or cardboard sleeve) or in the case of an OEM (original equipment manufacturer) CD, it could be on the front of the OEM booklet. If somehow you have lost your Product Key, it can be obtained from your current installation by looking in the system registry. To find your Product Key, open Regedit and navigate to the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION

Click on the CurrentVersion key in the left pane of regedit, and in the right pane scroll until you find the value of ProductKey. This is your CD Key (not to be confused with ProductId which is the number Microsoft assigned to you when you registered Windows. This is for Retail Versions). If this is an OEM version, the key will have OEM in it and MAY be called ProductId rather than ProductKey. Write down both values if you are unsure!

One more thing I should mention. If your version of Windows is an "upgrade" version, make sure you have your previous installation disks because setup will ask for them to verify eligibility for upgrade. Since you are about to do a clean install, there will not be a previous operating system installed. This is not a problem as long as you have your previous installation disks. Setup will prompt you accordingly.

First Step - Partitioning

This is the process of dividing a physical drive into smaller logical drives that the operating system manages as individual drives. Even if you don't have, or plan on having multiple partitions, the drive is still partitioned (as one active primary DOS partition). This information is stored in the partition table at the beginning of any physical drive. The first partition of the first hard drive (primary master) usually becomes drive C: and is the boot partition. Unless you use a third party boot manager like System Commander, Windows must install to the boot partition.
Note that if you are just reformatting to correct a messed up operating system this step may not be necessary, as the partition tables are still intact. In fact, one advantage of having more than one partition is that you can format your C: drive without affecting the other logical drives. If both Windows and DOS can't see one or more of your drives, however, it might be a good idea to repartition.

I am going to introduce you to the MSDOS partitioning utility FDISK. I'll be keeping it simple rather than trying to walk you through a complicated multi partition setup.

The FDISK Utility

For the purpose of this discussion, we will remove existing partitions and create new. Boot with your Win95 or Win98 startup disk and type Fdisk at the A: prompt. If you are running Windows 95B (OSR2) or Windows 98, the first screen you will see when you run the FDISK program will ask you if you wish to enable large disk support (Y/N).
Answering Yes to this prompt will enable the FAT32 file system. If you are running Windows 95A (OSR1) or earlier you will not see this prompt as the operating system is not FAT32 aware. If you do not wish to use FAT32 say No to this prompt, but you will not be able to have a partition larger than 2 Gb, which means you will have to use more than one partition for your drive.

On the next screen you get a menu. The first step is to select option 4 and view the existing partition info. Note that it is safe to run FDISK and view the partition info at any time and it can even be done in a DOS window. As long as you don't delete or try to create any partitions and use the ESC key to exit, you cannot harm anything. I warn you right now, however, if you delete or create any partitions a format will be required afterwards and you will lose all data on that volume. Now that you know what your current partition setup is, the next step (following the example, remember you may not want or need to repartition here), is to delete the existing partitions. Hit ESC to go back to the menu and choose option 3.

When deleting partitions, to avoid problems it is a rule of thumb to start with NON-DOS partitions and work your way up deleting all logical, then the extended and finally the Primary DOS Partition(s). When you are finished, the next step is option 1, creating DOS partition or logical DOS drive.

Here is how this works. You can have 4 primary partitions per fixed disk. One of these can be an extended partition, which must have at least 1 logical partition, but can have up to 20 logical partitions. Please note, however, that DOS and Windows will only see one primary partition, any other primaries will be invisible. This is really only useful for Non-DOS partitions, for example partitions belonging to other operating systems. Therefore, I do not recommend that you create more than one primary, unless you know really well what you are doing. If you need more than one partition, I recommend creating one primary DOS partition and an extended partition and logical partition(s) under it. You MUST set your primary DOS partition active (i.e. setting it as the "boot" drive), this will become your C: drive. Selecting option 1 to create a Primary DOS Partition, you will be asked if you wish to use the maximum available size for a primary DOS partition.

If you answer Yes to this question, it will use the entire fixed disk as your primary partition. This is fine if your hard drive is less than 2 Gb or you are using a FAT32 aware operating system and have said Yes to enabling large volume support. If you say No to this, you will be prompted to enter the desired size of the partition either in Megabytes or as a percentage of the total drive capacity. Once you have created all of your partitions, you have to return to the main FDISK menu and set one of the primaries as active. I recommend partition 1.

When you are finished, and exit FDISK you will be prompted to restart your computer. I recommend you do that immediately. After restarting, you must format each and every partition you have created.

Formatting your Partitions

After creating partitions, each of them will be assigned a drive letter in DOS. Your primary partition will be drive C: and the next partition will be drive D: and so on. The extended and logical partitions under it will be last. (Your CD ROM drive letter will be assigned the next letter after those). Note that if you have more than one fixed disk and are using multiple partitions, the drive letter assignment will assign letters to all primary partitions first. This means that your logical partitions on the first drive will be assigned letters after the primary partitions on the second drive. This can get pretty confusing.

There are basically two ways to format a primary partition, you can either make it bootable by copying system files and making the drive bootable. (this is only for your active primary, when you set it active FDISK writes the boot program to the Master Boot Record MBR), or you can let the operating system installation take care of that. I generally just let Windows setup handle that, for a super clean install. To do this, type from the A: prompt while booted with your startup disk:

Not bootable: FORMAT C:
Make bootable: FORMAT C: /S
Format the rest of your partitions in the following manner: FORMAT D:
(Substitute correct drive letter(s) if necessary)

When you have finished formatting all your partitions (or only your C: partition if you didn't repartition), you can then install Windows to the C: drive. Boot with your floppy disk that allows access to your CD-ROM, change to your CD ROM drive letter, and type SETUP.

Windows Setup will guide you through the rest of the process. If all goes well, you'll be back in business better than before in no time. If you are having trouble installing Windows from the CD-ROM you can copy all of the files from the \Win98 (or \Win95) directory on the CD to a directory on the hard drive that you've created (eg. C:\CABS) using one of the following commands. You can launch Setup from that directory and it will install from there.

From the \Win95 directory on the CD: COPY *.* C:\CABS
From anywhere else: COPY D:\WIN95\*.* C:\CABS
(Substitute correct CD ROM drive letter for D: if necessary)

Installing your Applications

After you get Windows installed, have a look around and make sure everything is working properly. Have a look in Device Manager for any hardware problems. Any problem devices will be marked with a yellow hilighted exclamation mark. Hopefully Windows Setup detected all your hardware and installed drivers (or gave you the opportunity to supply them from diskettes you hopefully created earlier). For devices that didn't get detected during setup, you can use the Add New Hardware Wizard in Control Panel. You can let it search for new hardware or you can tell it what type of hardware you want to install. For example, when I install my Iomega Zip drive I just select the option to manually add a hardware device and I choose the SCSI controller category, I click on Have Disk and insert the floppy disk, find the Iomega Parallel Port Interface and it installs. The exception to this is printers, Windows does not detect and install drivers for printers during setup or with the Add New Hardware Wizard. You have to do that by clicking the Start Button, going to Settings, choosing Printers and double click "Add Printer". You can see if windows has a driver for your printer by scrolling through the list or click Have Disk and install from there. If you are running Windows98 there is a very good chance that Windows already has a driver for your printer on the CD.

Once you are sure that all your devices are working properly you can begin to install your applications software. I usually get my Internet connection and related programs set up first, so I can download any patches or drivers I may need. Then I install my most important software and make sure everything is functioning properly. It is best to do it one application at a time, rebooting in between even if you aren't prompted to. This step-by-step process will help you narrow down what the culprit is if you suddenly start running into problems.

When all your most important software is set up and functioning it is a good idea to make a backup of the system registry and other configuration files like Win.ini and System.ini. Now you can start restoring all your data from the backups you created, installing other programs, games, etc. and customize Windows to your liking. You're Done

Partitioning your Hard drive

"Hey! Give us some privacy, huh?!!" Well, creating partitions on your hard drive isn't quite the same as putting partitions up in the office, but in some ways, it is. Partitions allow you to organize your applications and data in more efficient ways as well as allowing you to use the space of your hard drive more efficiently.

When FAT 16 was the common file system in use and hard drives above 2 Gigabytes started appearing, it was necessary to partition your hard drive because FAT16 couldn't handle a partition size above 2 Gigs. Today, with FAT32, NTFS and other file systems (Linux) in common use, this is no longer the issue. However, that doesn't mean you shouldn't consider partitioning your hard drive.

With FAT32 (the usual file system for Windows 98 and ME, and also supported by Windows 2000), the size of the cluster stays at 4kb up until 8GB. After that it doubles to 8kb. To illustrate why cluster size is important, let's consider a file of 50kb. With 4kb clusters, that file is stored on 13 clusters, taking 52 kb of space. There is 2 kb of wasted space. With 8kb clusters, it is stored on 7 clusters, taking 56kb of space. There is 6 kb of wasted space. The smaller the clusters, the more efficient the storage of your files. So, a single partition 30 GB hard drive is wasting a LOT of space compared to that same hard drive split into four partitions. Exactly how much? That depends on the specifics of your individual files and programs.

In addition, multiple partitions provide a number of options that can be very useful to anyone with a computer. You might create a "data" partition to maintain all the data that you create. Documents, pictures, music files, etc. It is far easier to backup that partition than to try and find all your files spread out over an entire drive from among the program files, etc. You also might maintain a separate partition for maintaining an image of your C: drive so you can restore it in case of emergency. You cannot make an image of the C: drive on the C: drive, so either additional partitions or drives are necessary.

You may already have more than one partition. Does your system show more than one hard drive in My Computer? Each physical hard drive must have at least one partition for Windows to recognize and use it, but Windows shows each partition as a separate drive, so even if My Computer shows two hard drives, you may only have one physical hard drive.

Windows categorizes partitions into three types. A Primary partition (one is necessary on any computer for booting from), Extended partitions, and Logical partitions (which reside within extended partitions).

Partitioning Step-by-Step

OK, now that we have pointed out why you might want multiple partitions, let's look at how to do it. If you have a new hard drive, or you want to start over with a fresh start, Windows provides a tool called FDisk, found on the Windows 98 startup disk. To use it, boot from the startup disk and type FDisk at the A:\> prompt. You should be prompted whether you wish to enable large disk support if your hard drive is larger than 2 Gigabytes.
Answer Yes, and the next screen will show you the main FDisk menu.

Option 4 will allow you to display the partition information for the current disk.

Pressing Y will get you the information about the logical partitions within the extended partitions.

Option is the screen to use if you need to get rid of partitions before starting over and repartitioning a drive. Be very cautious on this screen, deleting the wrong partition is not a great feeling! As you can see, you get numerous warnings. Still be careful!!

Option 2 is used to simply set a partition as the "Active" partition on your machine (the partition that Windows boots from). The boot partition must be active in order to boot from it.

Option 1 is the most important option, as it is here that we have the opportunity to create partitions!

As you can see, you have the choice of entering how much space you want to use in Megabytes or in % of the total drive. For an extended partition, I recommend you use 100% unless you are keeping some free space open for an installation of Linux or something similar. If you need to create a primary DOS partition, you must do that BEFORE creating the extended partition.

OK, my extended partition is complete. After checking drive integrity, I again get the opportunity to say how much space will be used for the logical drives within the extended partition.

As you can see, I have chosen to use 1800 megs. After entering, I immediately get another screen to use the balance.

And after entering on that one I'm done with FDisk!! Now, I must reboot and format the new drives. Drive letters may change. In this case, the drive letters will follow the letters of the drives on my primary drive.

So much for FDisk. FDisk is a very powerful tool, but it is also a limited tool. It will destroy all data on a drive. There is no way of modifying partitions with FDisk without destroying the data on that disk.

But there are other tools out there. One that is very well known and very reliable is Partition Magic. You should always backup before making any changes to the partitions, just in case, but Partition Magic is a terrific tool with which I have never had any trouble.

Partition Magic has a graphic interface, and it supports a large number of file formats including Linux EXT2, NTFS, HPFS, FAT and FAT32. Note that Partition Magic allows you to choose to create multiple primary partitions. Only do so if you intend to dual boot using a third-party boot manager like the included Boot Magic. Don't do so if you intend to use NTldr (NT/Win2Ks boot manager), or LILO/Grub (Linux's).

The toolbar icons and the drop down menus up top allow you to perform the actions without the wizards, in this case, resizing of an existing partition without losing its data:

With the manual operations, pressing the Apply button (only appears when there are operations to apply) will result in the operation being done.

You can also discard changes here, as you can see below the progress screen. If the operation requires changes to your boot drive, Partition Magic will boot to DOS to do so. As a result, Partition Magic only works in Win9x. Work on Win2K and ME machines must be done from a Partition Magic set of boot disks (made on a Win9x machine with Partition Magic 5 installed).

New partitions made by Partition Magic must still be formatted. You have the option of doing the formatting directly from Partition Magic.

I hope this is helpful to everyone with questions about partitioning. If you have further questions, feel free to ask in the forum.

STYX,

First off, looks like your post on fdisking is good, and I might try it out in the future.

BUT

"This Delluser's explanation sounds incorrect."

Can you please explain to me, what part of my post is incorrect?

You mentioned formatting with Start-Up disk, and at A: prompt using the command format c:. I would like to point out a quote from RokkieDBO's post about your suggestion to format from startup disk:
"I decided to format my hard drive but it would not let me via start up disk."

So if it is not letting this person format from disk, then you have to do it some other way, ie-install windows, then make a new start-up disk, re-format, then re-re-install windows. If there is an error before Windows can start, then a new OS must be installed over top of the existing one to fix any corruptions in the OS. Windows ME becomes very unstable after re-installing the OS over the OS, and I was suggesting that RookieDBO made a new startup disk then re-formatted using my method so as to completely wipe the hard-drive, then install a fresh OS so as to have no worries about corruptions or having an unstable OS.

colorado.gif

Thank you for the solutions guys. A bit overwhelming though. But I'm willing to try it to save $115 Canadian. I will work on it and will let you guys know how it went.

Thanks,
RookieDBO

I'm going to suggest you try my method first. I'm not saying I'm better or anything, but I've had 15+ people use this method, and it has worked flawlessly every time.

Good Luck!
colorado.gif

Ok it worked. However, another problem. M.E. is not recognizing my Dlink ethernet card. It did before. I installed it before and was working fine. I switched pci slots but still not working. It knows the card is there but would not install the drivers even though I have it in the floppy drive. I get a message saying "...was unable to find driver for pci device". Darn thing is giving me a headache. I hope I don't have to update my bios cause I tried that before on an older pc and screwed everything up. I ended up buying a new motherboard. Any idea?

Thanks,
RookieDBO

Try, pressing Windows Key(on keyboard)+Pause/Break (or right-click on My Computer, and goto properties) this will take you to System Properties, then click on Device manager tab then click on network adapters, then click remove, it will ask if you are sure you want to do this, say yes, then re-start computer. The add/remove hardware wizard will appear during startup and ask you what you want to do with this card, tell it to install drivers, and specify that the driver are on the disk and install the drivers. Hopefully this will help you out.

Good luck!
colorado.gif

"Quest for the Cup - 2002!"
"Onto the 2[sup]nd[/sup] round!"

Yes. I have done that already 5 times earlier today. It does look for the driver but does not install it which is weird. Anymore ideas?

Thanks,
RookieDBO

May be a dumb question but here goes. Does the disk with the drivers have a setup.exe file where it installs the drivers automatically? or is there a file that tells you to just copy the files to some location on your hard-drive.

Could you supply more info, on brand, model, version, etc!

Have you also gone to Add/Remove hardware in the control panels, and tried that way too, and not removed it and let the computer try to do it itself?
colorado.gif

Aslo try this:

and have you gone to to see if there is an updated driver for your card. It may be that your old driver isn't accepted anymore. Sounds like the problem is with the drivers and/or the card not wanting to install the driver. If worst comes to worst you may need a replacement card, if it is still under warranty.

Also, when you removed the card, were you grounded, and is the card seated properly in the bay, or are you using a laptop?
colorado.gif

It's a "Dlink 530" ethernet card. I'm at work right now so I don't have it in front of me. This is my only means to an internet connection is at work. I tried installing it manually but did not work. It says "this is the incorrect driver" eventhough it's manufacturers disk driver. Normally M.E. does an automatic installation and finds the driver either in system or floppy. But not this time.

Thanks,
RookieDBO

Try to download the driver, then put it on a disk, then when you're at home, put the disk in the computer, goto C:\ make a new folder, call it D-Link, then copy the files from floppy into that folder, then run the add/remove hardware again and point to C:\D-Link as the source for the drivers. See if that helps!
colorado.gif

Thanks Spyderix. Your solution worked. I downloaded an updated driver, unzipped it in a folder and directed windows installer to that folder. It found a driver. However, Bell high speed internet would still not recognized the network card, it gave me an error. So I explored the Bell installation CD and looked for the NTS setup and forced it. Now it works. Thanks guys. Great help in here.

Thanks,
RookieDBO

Glad everything worked out![smile]
colorado.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back