Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC turns on at random

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharpie

Technical User
Jul 10, 2002
GB
I've recently finished putting together my PC from scratch and everything works perfectly apart from the fact that it seems to turn itself on. I use the computer and shutdown in the normal way only to find at some point later in the day that it is on again.

I do not use any scheduling software etc. but the motherboard has a wake on LAN feature but as it is not connected to a network I don't see how it can be this. The BIOS for the mobo is the latest version.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Specs: AMD Athlon 2000+
Gigabyte GA-7DXR+
256Mb DDR 2700 RAM
Gainward GeForce 4 MX
Windows 2000 Pro
300W PS

It more than likely has an on alarm in the CMOS settings as well, I would go there and check for it. If you notice, it's probably coming on at the same times

If this PC is not on a network, and it is truely off, then BIOS has to be the cause..

I personally think you have a ghost. Call the Ghostbusters.

In the BIOS there are settings to make the computer wake up when a Mouse event, Modem phone event, keyboard event,NIC card Event triggers a wake up event. On newer computers often the motherboard still has power when windows is shut down. You can turn off all of these event actions in the BIOS. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

I used to have a similar problem which I narroweed down to Wake on Modem. Although this wasn't set in the BIOS (probably a fault!), the machine would turn itself on if the phone rang and the modem was plugged in. In the end I set the on/off switch to hardware rather than software. i.e. It now goes to the "It is now safe to turn off your PC" screen rather than shutting itself off automatically.

If disabling the wake up on ring in the bios doesn't solve the problem, you can try updating the bios. A couple of brand name computers (HP, compaq, Emachines) has had this problem and updating the bios solves the problem. Becareful when you upgrade the bios, make sure you don't have a power off the computer during the upgrade, read the instructions carefully because you can scrap you mobo.

Thanks for the help. It was a setting for wake on modem that I hadn't noticed before. PC now runs like clockwork!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back