Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC sound card and Macromedia Flash expert please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jst

Programmer
Aug 1, 2001
GB
All Flash Movies I create with streaming audio playback on my PC (both locally and off-line) with added irritating digital-sounding clicks.. however they sound ABSOLUTELY FINE on my laptop and every other PC and MAC I've ever tested out.

In other words it seems to be some sort of local conflict on my PC.

I've tried looking at the sound card settings but, to be honest, I have no idea what I'm looking for and I'm scared of making any adjustments.

Does anyone have any ideas about what could be causing the problem and how I resolve it..?

(I'm posting this seperately on the Flash forum too)

Could be a problem with your Sound settings...
If you have the 'Volume control settings' speaker in the system tray, double click on it and skip the next paragraph.

If not...go to the Control Panel and double click on 'Multimedia' Then, in the Audio tab, tick the button for 'Show volume control on the taskbar'. Then hit ok and the speaker icon will appear in the system tray.

Double click on the speaker and then you will see some volume controls, you have to mute one of these to eliminate the noise, I think the one you want is Mono out, try a couple to figure out which one it is, there are also some that dont appear in the list, you have to go to Options and Properties and then add them into the list from there..... Jay~

My new Tae Kwon Do website is up and running!!

~KeyTech

Very Interesting:
Yes, I have the loudspeaker icon and an icon for my Audio Mixer: Creative Soundblaster Audio PCI 64V.

I double clicked on the loudspeaker icon to bring up Volume Control.. then selected Options/Properties/Recording Control...

Now.. when I start playing a flash movie with those digital clicks... the clicks stop IF I select Options/Properties and then OK from "Recording Control" while it's playing. (But not if Volume Control is set to "Playback" - bizarre!)
Trouble is with every new play of a different flash movie I'm afraid the clicks return.

Suggests there's some instability in there somewhere... but I really don't know what I'm talking about...

By the way, there was no sign of "Mono Out"

Any more ideas..?

Actually, it's simpler and even more curious:

If, while I'm playing a flash movie with those digital clicks I simply RIGHT-hand click on the loudspeaker icon in the lower status bar... then it clears those audio clicks immediately.

But, again, they return on opening the next movie.

Hope this helps!

If you double click on the speaker and go to Options->Properties but stick with the Playback option, you should see mono out. (this could be the one so mute it, if not try some others in Playback)

I will try and explain what is happening!!
When you're recording something, what is muted in the Playback can have an effect, because things like the Mouse and CD-ROM all make slight noises when you have these options (mono out and CD Volume?) not muted. So when you are recording you are picking up these noises, BUT you will only hear them when you are playing back the recording!!!!!
does this make sence!!!!????? Jay~

~KeyTech

I'm afraid I can't find "Mono Out" as an option... am I missing something really obvious.. or doesn't everyone have it..?

However I've tried muting all other options anyway:
(Volume Control, Wave, CD, Synthesizer, Microphone, Line, Auxiliary, Video, Modem)

None of these seem to solve the problem. I've also established I have the correct drivers for my sound card too.

Just to confirm: rght-hand clicking on the loudspeaker icon or the mixer icon in my lower status bar WHILE the flash movie is playing clears the clicking noise... but it then returns on opening the next movie.

This is a problem I've only encountered with Flash movie playback... NO OTHER SOUND SOURCE DOES THIS!

just a quick one...
when in the Audio Properties, and going to Options->Properties, do you see a small window with
Show the following Volume Controls:
and then loads of boxes that are either unticked or ticked? The mono out will not appear unless you tick the box for it....

working on it.... Jay~

~KeyTech

No.. no I realise that.. the trouble is that "Mono Out" simply isn't there as an option that I can tick!

I was having a weird problem like this. I muted everything and unmuted them one at a time. My problem was the modem. If it was unmuted, it put noise in my applications for some reason.

The problem you are having is caused by the sound card, and it most likely will never be fixed. I have a few hundred gateway computers that i support, and they do the same thing, but only on streaming audio. They try to play it as fast as it can download it, and there is no playback "speed" controll, and sometimes it sounds like a skipping cd. Its even worse in windows media player. The only fix for this is to get a new sound card, or like you said, its just one computer, so you may want to live with it.

jst

From Newsgroups
-----------------------------------------
Have you downloaded latest drivers?
One poster wrote..

..."as I recall, you may want to use "Fast" instead of "Best" for the quality.
i remember looking at the manual, and "fast" more refese to fast streaming,
and best is more for view of a intranet/local hard drive. but i may be way
off, but am pretty sure that "fast" and "best" dont refer to encoding speed..."
(8) articles relevant to "flash movies and sound problems"

GL

smitee

I am determined to find out why Mono Out isn't there!!
When you see the list of options to tick, are you in the Recording or Playback options set? It should be found in Playback....you may also try muting some options in the recording option.....CD may be one to try... Jay~

~KeyTech

I can assure you "Mono Out" isn't there!

I've listed above all the other options.. (Volume Control, Wave, CD, Synthesizer, Microphone, Line, Auxiliary, Video, Modem).. and I've tried muting each one, one by one or in combinations without success. I've also tried the same with the Options available under the Recording Control.

I fear smileybry's response is probably the true situation: I have a crap sound card and there probably isn't much I can do about it -- but I thank everyone for all their tips!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back