Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC Shutting down on Boot. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

klyjr

Technical User
Dec 26, 2004
US
AMD 1.6
A7nbx-e N-Force 2
pc- 2100
enermax 475watt pwr supply.

Ok MB and Pwr supply are new. I can sit in the bios all day long and the PC will stay on. As Soon as I try and boot to windows the computer shuts off. If I try load windows from the the cd its copys all the neede boot files then it says lodading windows and then shits off. I don't think its getting to hot. I've tried different video cards , memory , reseated the cpu/heatsink. I'm stumpped.. any idea's..

when you say that the mbd is new does this mean that the
pc has not booted into the operating system since it's install ?
If this is the case try to boot in safe mode and load the new drivers for the mbd.

klyjr
The most obvious cause is the CPU heatsink/fan unit is fitted 180degrees out (the opposite way)
Please don't dismiss this out of hand as even the most experienced of technicians will admit to fitting at least one AMD socket A heatsink this way and I can asure you it is easily done.
The recess in the base of the heatsink must be positioned so it is located over the raised cam box of the CPU socket.
The heatsink must be fitted with a small amount of heat transfer paste to the raised core of the CPU (1/2 rice grains in volume)
Front side bus is set too high, AMD XP1600+ CPU is a 266fsb processor and needs fsb jumpers set to 133 (this will be doubled by the DDR ram to 266)

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Paparazi , you nailed it right on the head.
:) It only took me all day to get it right :(

Thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back