Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC shuts down when internet connection is broken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil6

Technical User
May 6, 2004
PT
I have a DSL connection at home, on a pc with WXP SP2 and when I'm using the internet for a long time (using P2P program), when the connection breaks, the pc shuts down by itself (not all the times but most of them). I've already tried to use keep-alive connection programs (Cidial, RASMaster), but it's the same.

Any thoughts?

Thank you

Nobody has anything on this?

Uninstall sp2 (personal opinion->the worst sp ever)
But you have to know that microsoft does not like unistall. More problems might occur.
So format is the best solution, and never install sp2, never ever again.

I know that this is not a solution, and probably you already thought of this. It was just to answer your question 'Nobody has anything on this?'

When you are looking at a suspicious problem such as this ("when the connection breaks" on an always on internet source)("rebooting on it's own") then you should look at it suspiciously. Have you ran any spyware/adware tests? How about a virus scan?

Are you running any new programs? How about 4Cast?

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

...when I'm using the internet for a long time (using P2P program), when the connection breaks, the pc shuts down by itself (not all the times but most of them).

Go to the forums supporting your P2P application. This behavior is not unheard of from eDonkey or eMule or some Bit Torrent clients. (And it has nothing to do with XP SP2).

Thank you all for your input.

About your questions:

1. yes, I have Sp2 installed, but this already happened before I had it;
2. Yes, I've already thought of spyware/adware, but I've Spysweeper AND Spyware doctor and nothing...
3. Format is out of the question, at least for now;
4. I'll take a look into this doubt you've raised, bcastner, about this being P2P related. I'll get back with you on this one.

Once again, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back