Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC Server 330 8640-PB0 ram speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumbles

Technical User
Oct 25, 2002
US
Just a simple question. Does this box support memory sticks faster than 60ns? If it so, does anyone know where I can get some?

Thanks all.

No, but if memory speed is the bottleneck, maybe it's time to upgrade?

Thanks that what I was wanting to know. I looked at the IBM docs but could not find anything that said yes or no.

It's not that there is a bottleneck. The box is just something I've been fiddling around with at home as a file server. I was just wondering if it could support something faster is all.

I guess though the next step up would be one of their e-servers?

Depends...if you tend to want to add the latest and greatest peripherals, think IntelliStation (server internals, without the ServerProven limitations). If you want absolutely bulletproof, then, yes, eServer xSeries is your friend.

Ummm what kind of "latest and preatest peripherals" are there for IntelliStations? ServerProven limitations?

I take it you consider the eServers a notch or two above an Intellistation.

Well I like IBM hardware and I guess no one still ever gets fired for using them:)

I was referring to all things PCI that you can attach - modems, Wi-Fi, IEEE1394 devices, video capture cards, etc. Also, the video cards on the IntelliStations are higher performance than the servers (duh, it's a server) xSeries servers rock, but are only tested and supported with devices indicated on the IBM ServerProven Compatibility web page ( ), which may seem limiting if you use the server as your workstation for other cool stuff. Depending on your intent, one may be a better choice than the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back