Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC Running super slow, possibly I/O ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doomer

Programmer
Jun 7, 2003
US
Ok here are my specs.
PIII 733 RAM 128 and 256 pc 133
OS Windows 2000
HD 7200 RPM Maxtor
Start up Activities:
IIS, PHP, mysql, asus mobo monitor, norton antivirus.

PROBLEM: My computer runs really slow when opening programs ect, EVEN Internet explorer takes like 20 seconds to open. My processor isn't being touched, its around 10%, but my LED light is ticking away. So first i think ahhh ok I/O hard drive problem so I defrag get all my files contiguous. Then restart is next day and still running slow. So i take out the ram and put my origial 128 in only and still running pretty slow. It use to be fast with this ram when i first got it.

Its still running slow, I dont think the other services running should kill my performance this much, any tips or helpful hits/experience would be appreciated.

Thanks

-Doom

I'd check the Drivers for the Hard Drive - it sounds like you are running a generic driver in compatability mode.

Just look in Control Panel/System/Device Man and see if your HDD Controller is set to dual fifo or (compatability mode). It's one of those execptions that doesn't show up as an error but drags things down!

I'll keep thinking ;oP

AidanEnos

You might want to check your system resources, see what percentage of your memory you are booting up with. Often, some app's will set themselves to automatically load up with windows, therefore decreasing your system resources.
To check your system resources right click my computer, check 'properties' and tab over to 'performance'. You should be running @90% (give or take) at boot up. if its a lot below, run MSCONFIG from 'run' on your start menu, tab to 'startup', you will be able to see everything that starts up when windows starts. Most of the time, there is a lot of extra junk starting up with windows. Uncheck the unimportant ones, and reboot, this should help at least some.

Have you RUN Defrag? Secon by default Win2000 pro has a few problems.
1) UDMA 66 support is not enabled by default you must enable it in the registry.
2) Win2K does not support ATA100 without a patch. You need both of these for your fast hard drive.

Also what is your swap file set to? It may be too low. With win2K pro a good rule for setting a swap file is total RAM + 30 meg.

Email me And I can send you the ATA100 patch and the registry support for UDMA66 support.
butchrecon@skyenet.net

One of the most common reasons that Windows 95 slows down is file fragmentation of the system.dat and user.dat files. These files are hidden, system and read only and guess what, defrag doesn't touch them. I've found these files fragmented directly after an installation. I had a 300Mhz which was taking 5-6 seconds just to open a folder with five links in it. Try this. Open a command line window, making sure you're in the windows directory, and type this;
scandisk /fragment system.dat and hit enter.
If the file is NOT fragmented it will return
" all specified file(s) are contiguous" If that's the return then start to look for the other stuff. If you get;
"specified file(s) are in n non-contiguous blocks"
(the n representing variable) you may have found your problem. 2 or 3 isn't too bad, more than that it gets slow
and these files are constantly changing their size as the user adds or changes programs and settings. If that's your problem get back to me. I've got a way to fix the problem, but it's completely undocumented and I'm hesitant to turn it into public knowledge.

Have you got any USB devices hooked up?If so unhook them and see if it speeds up.If it does then replug them in one at a time and if it starts slowing down the it could be one of them is kaput.

see whats running in the background by downloading microsofts Kernel Toys.
go here

After install go to Run and type in "wintop"
it's kinda like task manager for WinNT, displays all the resources which are running in the background, cpu and memory usage. etc, etc.
have fun.

Hey,
kposey and swayda, the guy's running Windows 2000. Both your suggestions wouldn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back