Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC Restarts on its own ??? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwunder

Technical User
Jun 2, 2001
GB
I have just had a new PC. Its an AMD 1800XP with 512mb ram. I have captured some video footager through my firewire card (6 separate mini videos to be precise) I captured in MGI Videowave 3, and then built text effects etc onto the timeline and tried to build the complete movie. After a minute or so the PC just restarts without any warning !
I tried another video editing program incase it was MGI. I tried Assymetrix Digital Video Producer. It did the same thing and restarted after a minute or so. What's the problem ?

Urgent help required on this as the PC is only 3 days old and I want to wrap it round the sellers neck as quickly as possible if necesary.

Thanks in advance
kwunder

Bryn,
As to the benchmark listing your cpu as 1534Mhz. This might be a misrepresentation by the program. However, to make sure, check your motherboard settings. If you have jumpers, there are charts on the mb listing the core voltage, the multiplier and the bus speed. If these are there, verify that busXmultiplier=1.8ghz. If jumpers aren't available, check the bios to make sure it is set to use the system at 1.8ghz.
good luck. hg

HugoGuessit
I've had it verified that 1534 is the correct clock speed for and AMD Athlon XP1800. Apparently, the numbers that AMD use are just as a guideline for buyers to use against Pentium processors, as it seems an Athlon XP1800 is faster than a Pentium 4 2GHZ

Thanks anyway
Bryn

Usually, AMD's figures are going to be pretty close to accurate. While Intel tends to overestimate their clock speeds a bit, AMD usually wrings it out pretty tight against their estimates.

This is the TECHNICAL way to work it out, so I've been told :-

The athlon xp series are given names based on how they fare against intel p4's. I dont know why they chose this way to name their processors. The athlon xp 1800 claims better performance than pentium4 1.8ghz processors.

The speeds for xp are given like this.

Multiplier FSB Speed Name
10 133.33 1.33ghz xp 1500+
10.5 133.33 1.40ghz xp 1600+
11 133.33 1.47ghz xp 1700+
11.5 133.33 1.53ghz xp 1800+
12 133.33 1.60ghz xp 1900+

Benchmark tests show that despite being nearly .3ghz down on the P4 1.8ghz, the AMD XP1800 (1.53ghz) is faster in all areas.

kwunder

I'm not that technical on these sort of things, and I'm willing to bet that your motherboard is having conflicts with your video card. Sometimes rendering in the background builds too much cache in the background, which would make your system reboot. The best thing to do is get a new video card to test.

Done it !

Still crashed with a different card in. Going to try a different brand of mobo next

thanks anyway
kwunder

SORTED !!!!!!!!!!!!! I THINK !!

I have just downloaded the latest 4 in 1 drivers from VIATECH and installed them. Restarted the computer and tried to compile a few clips. IT WORKED !. I plucked up the courage to stick a few more clips on the storyline and YESSSSSSS ! It worked again. I also noticed that the %completed figure rose at around double the rate to what it was doing before it used to crash. Should that be the end of it ?

I have learned that the chipset is a VIA KT133A and the power supply is an Advance 300ptf 300W.

Is this any good do you think ?
kwunder....CORRECTIONa RELIEVED kwunder

*<|:)

The VIA 4 in 1 drivers fix a lot of problems Windows has with VIA components. It also allows much faster DMA to the disk, so I would guess that is where your speed increase came from. What is really annoying is that you have to have Windows running stable enough to install the 4 in 1 drivers before it will run stable... Ain't Micro$oft wonderful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back