Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC Reboots under XP on its own

Status
Not open for further replies.

deebeetoo

Programmer
Jun 12, 2001
CA
I have this problem ever since I upgraded from Win98SE to XP Prof edition.
The PC reboots all of a sudden...i could be anywhere...on a web page/on an excel sheet/FrontPage/MS Outlook...
I have done a virus scan with NAV2002 with latest definitions and all is clear.

Pls advise as its annoying as I lose data everytime this happens

For a place to start in diagnosing the problem, check your events and see if you are getting any errors.

Start > Run >
Type this in the box> eventvwr.msc

Post back with what you find.

The two rules for success are:
1. Never tell them everything you know.

Hi thxs for responding
I have several errors under Application and System
Which details will offer a clue

Both. An application shouldn't crash the system but it can. Errors at the system level are more likely to be serious. Look at errors only - they have a red icon I think(lucky me, I haven't gotten an error for awhile). Ignore warnings and info for now.

Read through them and get the gist of what is happening.
Memory location seem to be causeing things, which program caused the error, that kind of thing. If you find anything interesting copy from the description (double click on the event to see) and paste it into a post. Don't go crazy, just paste a an "interesting" one or two.

If you know the approximate time of your last crash look for errors around then. They are in chronological order.

The two rules for success are:
1. Never tell them everything you know.

What hardware are you using? Specifically mobo and video card? There have been a lot of problems with people using VIA chipsets and NVidia Videocards getting random reboots in WinXP. I have heard a rumor about 26.50 drivers comming out from NVidia that fix the problem but nothing definate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back