Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC Reboots on Bugcheck errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrmark68

MIS
May 3, 2002
US
Hello all,

One of my users keeps getting the following errors and reboots her PC:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000001e (0xc0000005, 0xfc750a22, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). Microsoft Windows 2000 [v15.2195]. A dump was saved in: C:\WINNT\Minidump\Mini092002-01.dmp.

OR

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000050 (0xbad0b130, 0x00000000, 0x8044efac, 0x00000002). Microsoft Windows 2000 [v15.2195]. A dump was saved in: C:\WINNT\Minidump\Mini091202-01.dmp.

The computer is a compaq Deskpro EX model with windows 2000 SP2 installed on it. I tried calling Compaq but they were not much help.

Any help would be great.

Thanks in Advance.

Mark

Looks like you're reading Event Viewer for the info?
If you haven't, go to Control Panel/System/Advanced and remove the check from the automatically reboot on system failure. This will not stop errors but it will at least not suddenly reboot on you.

Attributed to Carl Duda on another ng:
<<<I found a bug fix on the microsoft site, I've included the file name, search for q278522 in the MSDN online Search area. >>>

Another person found that AV programs were the culprits...

4sure the problem is rampant...added the SP?

You might try searching groups.google.com...I got a couple hundred hits...with many solutions!

MrMark68,
I recently built a new machine (last six months) and put all of the best stuff in it... Win 2k, new install, AMD XP 1800+, etc... but sometimes it would just reboot by itself or reboot after I came back to the computer after not using it for some time. I tried reinstalls and reimages, switch out different slots on PCI cards, etc, nothing worked.
Eventually, one of my friends convinced me to get some good memory, brand name stuff, from Mushkin Memory. It was a bit more, but has a heat spreader (you also don't have to be as gentle with it because of that).

At any rate, after putting in the new memory, NO MORE REBOOTS EVER for me. Woohoo!! I had the same error msgs as you... I would come back from overnight and check the event logs and see &quot;Computer rebooted from bugcheck.&quot;
Maybe you shoud try new memory, or better memory. Let me know if this helps!!
-Jdogga

A lesson well-learned is a lesson well-remembered, isn't it Jdogga?

Gargouille,

Darn skippy! I will NEVER buy cheap memory again!! I think I had bought the generic memory when I got the combo ABIT KR7A board with AMD XP processor... lessons learned. Finally I have a awesome computer with no known problems (knock on fermica). However I did scratch the beautiful case recently... I think it was God's way of telling me &quot;you cannot have anything perfect.&quot; I would rather there be a scratch on the case than on the hard drive... so I will leave the tainted case alone... Hehe...
Later man...
-Jdogga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back