Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC Reboots everytime

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishkiller00

IS-IT--Management
Nov 21, 2006
US
Ok..I have precision 470. When ever I turn it on it brings me to the screen (Start windows normally, safe mode, etc..)

No matter which one I select it will reboot and go back to that screen. I have tried re-imaging, it takes the image fine but on the first reboot after imaging I get the bsod. Im guessing this is some type of hardware issue, but want to get some opinions before I do anything else. Its out of warranty. The lady who actually uses this computer said it was fine until they had a power outage, and thats when the problem started..

Thanks for everyones help

You might have taken a power surge, that fried a RAM address or something.

After making sure that all fans were running, re-seating everything in the computer, I would try something like memtest86 for a while on it; really test out the RAM.

If memtest86 doesn't find anything, I would run a hardware diagnostic on it; I used to use Forefront's Troubleshooter, but I don't think they make it any more. There are other self-booting hardware burn-in testers out there though.

Just my 2¢
"Life gets mighty precious when there's less of it to waste." -Bonnie Raitt "Nick of Time"
--Greg

Maybe it's a reparable boot sector defect, or something like that. Try a disk diagnosis. If you don't have any tools at ready, remove the hard disk, plug it in another computer as a secondary drive and use CHKDSK on it.

You can also try a system restore, by using a tool e.g. ERD Commander.

Sounds to me like the power supply got damaged. It would make sense for the PSU to get overloaded at that point and hiccup.

I'd take the hard drive out of the equation by using a bootable linux CD, and see if it still has the same problem when put under stress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back