Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC Re-Boots When Opening Excel File

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 7, 2002
US
Hello,
I have a user that has an infrequent issue with Excel 2003. She'll browse to a folder on the network, browse to the Excel file, and double click on it. Upon doing this, her PC immediately re-boots without any error messages. It appears to happen on selected Excel files that have images imbedded into them, especially when the images have been expanded to larger sizes within the work sheet. I tried to open the same document from my PC and it works just fine. The document is less than 300KB in size; her PC is running Windows XP and has 512MB of memory. Has anyone ever seen something like this happen before?
Thanks

Yes, I logged on as myself and I could open the document just fine. So I deleted per profile, she logged onto the PC today, which re-created a new profile, and as soon as she attempted to open the Excel document, the PC re-booted again; yet it opens for me ok under my login. She can log onto a different computer in the office and the document opens fine for her.
Strange....

Copy the file to a local drive on the affected user's machine.. See if it opens.
If not, problem points to Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back