Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC re-boots over and over

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 2, 2001
US
I have a pc I'm building, and I've installed W2K pro. Everything works great, except once the screen showing Windows is starting up is done, the pc re-boots. Can't run safe mode or any other type. Just an old box with a different hard drive. Checked all the bios settings, all looks good. Ideas? Thanks all.

Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884
"Action is the proper fruit of knowledge."
Thomas Fuller (1610-1661); English scholar, preacher

Try changing your power supply and also check whether the CPU gets overheated or finally try reinstalling win2k.

We had this problem last week. You will probably find a Blue Screen of Death comes up for a microsecond before it reboots. Run the recovery console, and study the logs to find out the piece of hardware / driver that is causing the problem. If you are doing a first install, it would be a confliction with a piece of hardware. Bring the system back to a basic configuration and add all additional hardware later.

i agree with evolveit. only use the bare minimum to start the install and see if that fixes anything. try disabling anything that is onboard also, except for video.

Glen,
I would remove any device from the computer, just leave the hard drive, memory, and CPU alone, check if the CPU fan is working, and if the CPU is not overheating
First try to replace the memory. IF you have more than one dimm , try to remove one by one while trying. Finally if needed replace them all.
Try to turn on the computer without the hard drive pluged in or with a different hard drive plugged in to observe what it does.
Then check the hard drive for physical errors or any other error in a different computer if there is no change.

A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

"I just know that I know nothing"
Socrates (469-399 B.C.E.)

check the hard drive is in the HAL, we had this problem with certain hard drives

"Work to live, don't live to work"

"The problem with troubleshooting is that sometimes it shoots back"

yup, i have a sitauation right now at home where my pc does the same thing; i use a labtop in exchange
-i found out that its my video card that was causing all of the instability
-need to purchase a new one then the pc will see whats up

Thanks gang. I'll give them all a shot.

Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884
"Action is the proper fruit of knowledge."
Thomas Fuller (1610-1661); English scholar, preacher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back