Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC randomly shuts down

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrPig

Technical User
Dec 3, 2003
GB
My PC seems to have developed a problem, where it seems to shut down at random, two recent cases of this are:

I was talking on ICQ, with Windows Media Player running, and browsing the web - and the machine turned itself off.

I was playing BF1942, and had been for sometime, and then for no apparent reason (not a lot happening on screen) the PC shutdown again

The PC Spec is:
Asus A7v333
AMD Athlon XP 3000+ 'Barton Core'
1024 DDR RAM
Geforce FX5900 Ultra
Windows XP Home

Asus probe reports the CPU temp as 70c/158f - is this too high? This is the temp when it's idle... Should I invest in a decent cooling system?

It wouldn't harm - that temperature looks a bit high to me.

For an XP 3000+ and FX5900, 158f is a little high, but nothing to get worried about. When your gaming, it might be heating up quite a bit though. Try dropping in a couple more fans if you can, one in the front bringing air in, then a couple in the back putting it out. That should help create some nice airflow through your case. Fans on the side are always great too. It could be a problem though, how many watts is your power supply? It might be bad too, you could try swapping it out with another power supply and see how well that works. Make sure your ASUS board has the latest bios (but be absolutley POSITIVE you are flashing the right one!).

Chris Biggers
ION Systems, Computer Sales and Service
Data Destruction services now!

You could also check the obvious loose connection on the mains cable as well as the power supply connector on the motherboard. Faulty mains cable can be common..

Simon Everitt, Lockwell Lectrics Ltd
System Administrator

I think 70C is more than a bit hot to run constantly, and absurd to be at when idle. Are you sure you have the right sensor? I think mine say 70C when nothing's connected to that sensor.

That is a lot of system to run. How big and what brand is your power supply? How many hard drives are in there? I have an old P3-450 that runs alright with two hard drives, but completely unstable with three. It only has some off-brand 235W PSU, so that's understandable.

I also have this nifty "power off" button on my new keyboard in the very easy to hit top corner that surprised me a few times. What Belkin genius thought that would be a good idea?

Thanks for all the replies.

I've just switched my PC on, and Asus probe reports a CPU temp of 67c/152F - I've only just got around to installing probe again, as I though my problems may lie with the heat.

I have one hard drive, a DVD, a CD-RW and my PSU is.. unknown.. sorry - however, if I go with the cooling suggestion I'll probably get a new PSU with my new case, as my current box has a fan at the back, and vents at either side - The MB temp stays low (34c/95f), it's just the CPU which alarms me..

Just to add that since the last posting I've put WMP on in the background, and been surfing the web.

The CPU temp is now at 70c/158f!

But I've done nothing!

I shall look into cooling solutions, any recommendations?

Before investing in any cooling solutions, perhaps a review of your current CPU cooling is in order.

Was your CPU boxed or OEM? If OEM, are you using a thermal pad or thermal grease? If grease, only a thin layer on the CPU core is need. A good site for grease installation is here:

Is the heatsink oriented properly? The recessed portion of the bottom of the heatsink should be over, but not on, the raised portion of the CPU socket.

Processor Installation Guide:

Processor and Heatsink Installation Videos:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back