Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC Purchase Advice Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

baracuda

Technical User
Nov 6, 2003
US
Looking to purchase several business class PC's for under $1000 ea. Dell's XPS 410 gets good reviews but I hate dealing with Dell on any level. I haven't been that impressed with the Dual core processors I've seen in terms of speed or multi-tasking. Just wondering what others are purchasing.

Dell's Business class PCs are really the OptiPlex line - NOT the Dimension/XPS lines. I don't know why you're anti-dell... EVERYONE has problems - Dell is no different, but their support has generally been good - even if it's largely handled out of the country - and getting replacement components has not, in my experience been a fight. And, they don't mind if you upgrade - they even provide drivers for Operating Systems they don't support - HP/Compaq - in my experience - complains if you DARE make a change to the system from the way it was shipped - I DO NOT recommend them. (And while I know they are different support groups, their support for printers was AWFUL the last time I had a problem with an HP Printer).

Ultimately, Desktops are just big lego blocks. You can - if you've got some basic skill - just build a few yourself and have COMPLETE control over the system (though obviously YOU are now supporting the computer).

The sad fact, in my experience is, if you are not a large company, ordering at least 6 figures worth of equipment per year, they don't really care about you. So buy whatever you like... it's not going to make that much difference. The one thing I would NOT do is buy a bunch of PCs from a local vendor without KNOWING what they are putting in them.

Hey XIT, thanks for the helpful link. I think it may be just what I am looking for.

And Iwcomputing - yes the Dimension line is typically not considered business class, but the XPS 410 has quite a few reviews that have considered it as such. My adversion to Dell is based on history. I am often impressed with the equipment but detered by their total incompetence when it comes to customer support -- and I am not talking about technical issues. My experience with Compaq/HP has been just the opposite (both to my Dell experience and your experience with HP), which goes to show that it's all subjective. I was just interested in hearing what other techs are buying. Thanks for your input.

Because you've had bad experiences with Dell in the past, your future dealings will likely be sub-par as well, since you will be going in with a skeptical chip on your shoulder. It's even 10 times worse when you know it's for your customer and you just want your problem resolved ASAP. It would make sense to switch to another company this time around such as HP.

Personally, I've been supporting Dell, Compaqs, HP's and IBM PC's for almost 10 years now at several Fortune 500 companies. I've encountered enough to know that the support is pretty even between them all. The difference in my case, however, might be that I am working with the business class support reps and not the home/residential. As for reliability, it seems to change each year. Right now, I'm working at an all HP/Compaq shop, so I couldn't tell you where Dell currently stands. But from work I've done on the side, I can tell you the most common problem I'm seeing with Dell is failed power supplies.

On the HP/Compaq side, to be fair, is an abnormally high number of LCD monitor failures. However, both could very well be a result of environment conditions and the level of care given by the end users that I'm working with. Plus, from a small purchase of just "several" workstations, you have a low chance of running into any of those problems...

Good luck!
[thumbsup2]

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

My experience with Dell has been good..... before we went to metaframe with thin clients, we had close to 100 dell PC's here at my location.

I had one that the CD rom went out on... they had another one to me the next morning.

I currently have a dozen Dell servers in my server room. They all have "Gold" support... that means, the last time I had a hard drive fail, a courier was handing me one in 4 hours and 10 minutes. And I'm ***WAY*** up here in the boonies. They offered to have a tech install the drive as well.... but Bob knows I'm competent enough to do that. <lol>

It boils down to "You get what you pay for". Dell has *OUTSTANDING* business support. But it's not free. If you have a critical application that runs on a system, there's the ticket.

Just my 2¢

"In order to start solving a problem, one must first identify its owner." --Me
--Greg

You might also look at the Dell Precision, which is a business class pc. We are a large company (15,000+ employee in the USA and Canada). At Corp HQ, all new pc's are Dell. They seem to be fairly reliable, and have what we need.

The problem with getting away from the big manufacturers is what kind of support can a small, no name provide? How long will it take for them to build 10, 15, 20 pc's? Can you get excatly what you want, for a price near where the big players have their prices?

If you arent impressed with the dual cores you must not have tried the Core 2 Duo. if you are in the market for a new PC that is definately the way to go. The speeds over the older stuff is phenominal. If that doesnt impress you then I don't think anything else would :)

As far as HP or Dell, i have had good and bad experiences with both, but I would still buy a Dell before a new HP, they made good on a mistake and won me back.

IBM THINK-CENTRE/NETVISTA

We have hundreds of IBM Desktops at our school.

Dell might actually be cheaper.

IBM Also supplies PC's for one free community service Lab we have open for the public.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

I appreciate all the input - thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back