Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedCerberus

Technical User
Oct 7, 2003
GB
Good evening all,
The other day I needed to borrow some RAM from my house machine- which runs 2000 Pro. I put the RAM in later and booted the machine. However, the tower case power lights come on, but she doesnt boot up. Also what is strange is that I cant eject the CD drives even when I turn her on and there is power?

I needed to get docs from the hard drive, and so removed the drive and put it into the other PC in the house. However upon booting up, I got a 'blue screen of death' staring at me stating:

0*000000&B (0*F101B84C, 0*C0000034, 0*000000, 0*000000) Inaccessible_Boot_Device

Has anyone got any ideas on the possible cause and solutions to the above?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Wayne

The blue screen from swapping the hard drive is due to Windows having the hardware from your other (Win2K) computer installed. If you load your Windows 2000 CD, and do a repair installation, it will fix this.
Regarding the RAM issue, it sounds like it may have fried. Have you tried putting it back in the other computer, the one you needed it for? If it works in that computer, it is probably ok. Otherwise, you'll know that it got fragged from static or another problem. If it works in the other computer, verify that you didn't accidently unplug anything while you were swapping it out.
Good luck.

MCSE, A+

Did you take ESD (Electro-Static Discharge) procautions when removing the RAM?
Did you carry the RAM in the proper protective bag?
It does sound like Xemus is right, You have probably fried the RAM.
Remember to always take ESD procautions when handling RAM or any other computer part that may be damaged by ESD.

Hello all,
Yes the hard drive issue is as you say Xemus, though using the Repair option on the CD isnt working. Also everything is still plugged in to my knowledge so I think there has been a problem as you suggestkestrel with the RAM. If i take all the RAM out and put some new RAM in this could fix the problem?

Thanks for the suggestions guys,
Wayne

was the file system on the HDD that contains the data you need formated with NTFS? if so than this disk cannot be booted in any other machine. instead set the jumpers on this drive to slave and stick it into another machine preferably running NT4.0/2kpro/or XP. go to my computer and check to see if the drive is recognized (it probably wont be) so then go to disk management and import the disk onto the new machine then go back to my computer and drag and drop files like usual.
justin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back