Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC powers on sometimes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

aprospere

Technical User
Jan 8, 2003
LC
i changed my motherboard and now my pc comes on sometimes and a stick of ram was fried while tryin 2 get it 2 come on. what would cuase this 2 happen?
this is what i have
motherboard: M7VIG 400
512MB DDR266
300WATT Power supply
1.2Ghz Duron Processor

Thnx

Your question is a little short on detail.

You changed your motherboard. Did you then reinstall windows? (which version of windows) - or repair it? Or just try to boot as is. What happened?

(if you move a hard drive to another motherboard, its pot luck if windows will boot and/or run properly. If you're running 2k/XP a repair reinstall will usually sort the problem. There are lots of sites with info about moving a hard drive.

You don't 'fry' a stick of RAM by changing a motherboard - so what exactly did you do? Did you work inside the machine while it was still powered on?

What's the situation now? Have you replaced 'fried' RAM (how do you know it was fried - did the motherboard get damaged when it fried?).

Check your BIOS settings for Wake-On-Lan, Wake-On-Modem, etc. Sometimes these are called by different names, but basically there should be settings in the BIOS that enable the pc to power on with activity from the network card or modem. Depending on your connection type, you can disable the appropriate feature to prevent your pc from waking up and powering on.

Sorry, pcdude1. I think you have mis-read the original thread.
This is nothing to do with WON or WOM. Read it again.

Sorry for the lack of detail. Here is what happened: I changed my motherboard to the M7VIG 400. After i put it in the case the board would not power on. I checked my connections and tried to turn it on again and then there was smoke coming up from one of the RAM slots. I am not really sure if the memeory is fried. Right now the PC is just sittin there.
Motherboard: M7VIG 400
512MB DDR266 ( 2 sticks of 256MB)
1.2 AMD Duron Processor
300WATT Power Supply
40GB harddrive

I would say the RAM is dead & so is the mobo. If this was a new mobo, get it replaced, it is faulty.

Got ohme and tired the mobo and it cam on without the vudeo card turned it off to put in my video card (FX5200) and nothing. Tried a PCI video card it came on after the second try and no video. Tried the 5200 again and no power and now it wont come on at all.

Thnx for your help i'll jus get a new mobo.

Don't attempt to use that stick of RAM again..

it MAY work.. but is it worth blowing another mobo? (which can also in turn fry every device attached to it)

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

I tried it again wit another stick of ram(256MB DDR266), couldnot let it go jus like that, and i got power for only about 2 seconds and it died.
What would cause these things to happen, the smoke, no power on my mobo?

It looks like a faulty mobo.
Get a new one. It isn't worth messing around.
Sorry it sounds negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back