Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC Power Loss 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

werdnaf

MIS
Feb 23, 2001
GB
We have an ATX machine which occasionally loses power suddenly during use. We switched the power unit on and off and rebooted and it would then work OK for some time. Recently the machine started to lose power suddenly quite quickly so that it would lose power on boot after about 30 seconds. We asked for a replacement power unit from the supplier, which turned out to be more powerfull than the original unit(235W-300W). We replaced the power unit, but no boot occurs, the 3 fans do work and the power led light comes on. To add to this sorry tale we now realise the new unit shows 30A for 5V output and the board manufacturer state a maximun of 20A . Was the board already gone or have we finished it off?!

30 amp is PS capability. 20 amp is M/B need. No problem.
If you have power lite and fans you probably have inadvertently unplugged something else or left something unplugged. Or more likely dislodged something like memory.
Any indications of video, beeps from the speaker, processor fan? Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Thanks for the reply. We have no beeps. The power fan, the CPU fan, and the case fan all work correctly. The HDD light comes on briefly. The FDD light does not come on.

Originally we did take out the CPU and RAM. I will check that they are properly connected, but I won't have access to the machine until Monday.

We recently had a similar problem, a PC losing power suddenly, during use, for no apparant reason. We replaced the surge protector and haven't had any trouble since. I know it sounds simple and you have probably already thought of this, but just in case, I thought I would mention it. Michelle Fulton

Thanks Michelle. There are other machines plugged into the same power socket which seem to be OK but they are not from the same manufacturer so it is still possible, but I hadn't even thought about it !

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back