Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PC, Pavilion won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlabrnthy

Technical User
Jan 19, 2004
US
The problem is; last week my pc suddenly lost power, I checked the power connections and started it back up, it ran Ok for few days. Lost power again, this time it won't restart. The green light indicating power is on on the back of the power supply [which indicates it has power] goes out. I hold in the on/off button until the light comes back on, When I try to restart, all the fans move for less than a second then it stops/shuts off, no power. I changed the power supply, but get the same results.
Right now I am thinking I have a bad mother board. Is there any thing else I could look at before I make plans to replace it?
I spent an hour with HP telling me to f8 and f10, They told me to get recovery CDs, but when I told them I couldn't get the tray to open they figured out I had a hardware problem....duh..!
Thank for any help,
Rick

Could be:

1) Bad Power Supply
2) Bad CPU Fan
3) Bad CPU

My money's on 2 or 3

Good luck

Thanks for the reply. This PC, xt983, is no longer supported by HP and I don't think it is worth investing very much into, especially if it is trial and error. Everything is built into the board and finding parts will be difficult even if you can identify them. And sending it off would cost more than it is worth.
Is it possible to read the data from the hard drive if I put it in another PC? This drive is XP, my other pc is win98. [This may be another post.]
Thanks,
Rick

It may be a dead card ie: modem, network.....try it with any/all cards removed.

I tried removing, unplugging everything in the case, nothing changed.
I think I will go with a new mobo and see what happens,
Thanks for the suggestions,
Rick

Assuming you have an atx power supply.
Unplug the main 20pin power connector to the motherboard,leave the HDD, CDR, & FDD conectors fitted.
Get a bent paperclip and short out the green wire pin to the adjacent black wire pin. Plug in the mains chord, and if applicable set the power supply's power switch to on.

If the Powersupply fan spins, listen for the Hard drive spinning up, if they do your power supply is 95% chance of being ok.

If PSU is ok, Reconnect the 20 pin atx power conn', unplug all PC cards from motherboard and power connectors from CD,HDD,FDD's.
Remove the CPU from it's socket, and remove RAM also.

Leave the CPU fan plugged in.

Try powering up, if CPU fan spins up then you probably have a bad CPU. If the fan doesn't spin then it is the mthbd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back